Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hate to make 2 threads in the same day kinda makes me feel like a post whore but im stumped here.. anyways ive been running a 8psi spring in my tial 38mm for weeks with no problems.. went today and put in a 11.5 psi spring, went out for a session and the guage never went above 8.5psi..ok so i think maybe the filters dirty, take it off, no better... burn another chip with a boost cut at 9.2 psi incase my guage was wronge and nothing , no boost cut still at 8.5psi...hits the 8psi at 4500 and holds all the way,you can hear the wastegate open all the way until you let off... the tial is brand new, alonge with bov, piping, etc..its like no matter what i try it stops at 8.5psi..any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
checked the turbo, it has no in and out play, and a litte up and down play... when i bought the turbo it had some dried up burnt oil on the bottom side of the turbine housing.. it dosent smoke out the exhaust, and theres no oil in the charge pipe, after a long pull through a few gears if you stop sometimes it will smoke a hair form where a drop leaked out the turbine side on the outside

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im going to do a pressure test tommorow, but all the couplers are new, and the piping has only one split on both sides.. i really really dout being how they all fit nice and tight its that but you cant rule it out till you try.. if i had a leak at the intake manifold wouldnet it idel rough or high? ill spray some starting fluid it tommorow when i get sunlight and see if it idels up

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes i installed one but it was at 11.2 psi and my guage was only reading 8.5.. ive hit boost cut before and its really obvious, so its not that.. it spools the 8.5 very easy then it just stops and holds, when i had the 6 psi spring in, it held that, then i went to 8 and it was fine there but i put a 10psi spring in and it only went to 8 so i thought maybe from the spring being old it lost its pressure, which is where i went to a 11.5 and it still stayed at 8.5

Did whoever tune it install a boost cut? Though . . . Most boost cuts are like hitting a brick wall . . .

·
Registered
Jeep wrangler DD
225 Posts
Pull the vacuum line off the gate, see if it goes above 8 psi then :p watch the gauge and let off the second it goes above 8-9psi. What color were the two wg springs?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
what flyinryan said eliminate it being a w/g problem pull off the vacuume line.....and carfully boost and see if it will go to 9-10psi then let off if so then its a w/g problem, if not its something else

·
Registered
764 Posts
Probably going to sound silly but I know a couple people that have made this mistake. When playing around with the turbo you didn't drop the comp side gasket?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im not shure i understand which gasket your talking about, the one between the turbo and manidold? ill try and pull the line and see wat happens

Probably going to sound silly but I know a couple people that have made this mistake. When playing around with the turbo you didn't drop the comp side gasket?

·
Registered
Merz Sprinter Van
2 Posts
So the only mechanical thing you touched was the waste gate? If so the problem can only be there. Pull the waste gate of again and inspect it. Or maybe the new spring is another 7-8psi spring instead of a 11.5psi. How much boost are you trying to run? A 7psi spring should hold 14psi plus with a boost controller.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes the only thing I changed was the spring, I thought maybe it was a wronge spring but twice I highly dout it, I tried a big yellow which is 10psi, then a brand new red which is 11.5.. I really only want 10, and I prefer to use no boost controller right now and let the wastegte control it.. ill pull the top of the wg off after I pull the line on the way home rom work but the diaphram is nice and clean with no rips or pinchs, and moves up and down easily

So the only mechanical thing you touched was the waste gate? If so the problem can only be there. Pull the waste gate of again and inspect it. Or maybe the new spring is another 7-8psi spring instead of a 11.5psi. How much boost are you trying to run? A 7psi spring should hold 14psi plus with a boost controller.

·
Registered
ej2
1,388 Posts
Yes the only thing I changed was the spring, I thought maybe it was a wronge spring but twice I highly dout it, I tried a big yellow which is 10psi, then a brand new red which is 11.5.. I really only want 10, and I prefer to use no boost controller right now and let the wastegte control it.. ill pull the top of the wg off after I pull the line on the way home rom work but the diaphram is nice and clean with no rips or pinchs, and moves up and down easily
What about a fire ring? Was the boost leak test done? A gasket between the wg and the manifold?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes it has a Fire ring, no gasket between manifold and wg,I thought I read u didn't need that's what the fire ring dose.. just posted this yesterday and haven't had time to buy the stuff to test it.

No I can't datalog, why what u thinking aboutdoing with that?

What about a fire ring? Was the boost leak test done? A gasket between the wg and the manifold?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yes it has a Fire ring, no gasket between manifold and wg,I thought I read u didn't need that's what the fire ring dose.. just posted this yesterday and haven't had time to buy the stuff to test it.

No I can't datalog, why what u thinking aboutdoing with that?
The gasket I am referring to is between the compressor cover and the back plate. It will either be an o ring or a paper gasket. If you clocked the comp cover they are easy to tear or even fall out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
another thing to check since i see you have the tail wg and ive seen a lot of people do it when they put the nipple on the hole gets plugged... try what flyinryan said and if that works then check that nipple use a flashlight and you should be able to see in it

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just got home from work and pulled the wategate hose on the way home and once it spooled up it wrapped right to 13 before i let off with no problem so its somthing in the wastegate or somehow i got 2 bad springs.. un fortunatly i came home early from work because i think im coming down with a pretty bad cold so i dout ill be out of bed before the sun gos down tonight..any ideals what im looking for, its a brand new tial, no tears, and nothing is pinched.. ive also had the vac line from the wg ran to the vac block on intake manifold, and on the turbo both with the same results

wouldent the wastegate hole being plugged cause to much boost, almost like not having it on..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts