Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, had a t3/t04b airesearch turbo for my set up. Made some nice power on my vitara build. Made 246 to the wheels. Not bad until I blew the turbo. Crazy horizontal shaft play and blew the oil seals. So I was faced with a crossroad. Rebuild and be maxed out or go bigger. The boost bug bit me hard so I went with a Garrett t3/t4e 57trim .63 a/r. Made 285 on 20lbs of boost =]. Problem with the set up is im having oil come out of the compressor with only 400 Miles !!! Should I use an oil restrictor on this? If so what one ?

·
Registered
414 Posts
uhhh something seems way off. with 20psi you should be making shit tons more power, i have a garrett 57 trim and im making like 210whp on 8psi.... post up your build. i have no restrictor on mine, but using -2an feed line...

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
You must use a restrictor it may be too late now.
Now you will need to inspect your seals and hope they are not blown.
There is 50% chance that just installing a restrictor would solve your problem.

Can you post a Dyno curve or tell us at what RPM boost started to build with both Turbos

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The turbo lines were from go-autoworks.com
GO-AUTOWORKS Tripple Black T3 Pro Oil Line kits are here!! This new addition to the Pro Oil Line Kit lineup includes a black sleeved oil feed line kit for a super sleek look. Our kits are a COMPLETE FULL Kit with all the engine fittings, hardware and adaptors! Our kits utilize a -3AN steel braided Goodridge line for a lifetime leak free feed. Our drains also utilize a Goodridge -10 AN black braided hose and comes with the appropriate -10AN black fittings and oil pan bung for a leak free install.

Anyway I'll post a pic up from the dyno...it was actually 18 horse close enough. I hope its not blown, I cant afford this car to be down for another 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
wow.. thats REALLY rich. should be around 12:1 AF now 11:1

·
Registered
98 Civic CX-T on E85
1,797 Posts
anyways....back to my question.....what should I do about the restrictor?
I would install one and see if it fixes it, but like stated earlier it may be to late.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dont think so its not like its pissing oil...ive been driving it for a few days and everything is good...i was beating the fuck out of it last night and i noticed some oil. Now drving nice and easy, no oil.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
dont use a restrictor.

seriously. oil doesnt hurt turbos! oil is a turbos blood.

restrict the blood... and it will die.

what you need is a good oil drain. and proper maintenance.

i run a -3AN feed with no restrictor on my SC6262 journal bearing and its still in brand new condition.

the airresearch turbo ur talking about is OLD... chances are it wasnt too prime to begin with. speaking of which, is it water cooled? did u run water through it?

restricting oil to the turbo is not going to help anything. it might make it smoke less, but thats just a bandaid for the real problem. just covering up the real issue which would be shitty oil rings on the shaft.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
dont use a restrictor.

i run a -3AN feed with no restrictor on my SC6262 journal bearing and its still in brand new condition.

the airresearch turbo ur talking about is OLD... chances are it wasnt too prime to begin with. speaking of which, is it water cooled? did u run water through it?

restricting oil to the turbo is not going to help anything. it might make it smoke less, but thats just a bandaid for the real problem. just covering up the real issue which would be shitty oil rings on the shaft.
+1

thats not some cheapo ebay or junkyard turbo. iv even ran ebay turbos without restrictors with no issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
dont use a restrictor.

Agreed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts