Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
http://users.adelphia.net/~pshickey/images/Dyno.JPG

I had vtec set at 4200 the first few dyno runs and there was a pretty big dip. I have heard if you just add a little fuel around there it will take care of the dip, but we ended up moving vtec up to 4900 and the dip pretty much went away. You can't even hear of feel vtec on sohc engines so I don't think it can really hurt you. If anything the better flowing vtec head will help. You really need to be on a dyno before you start changing vtec settings though.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've heard the same exact thing.. When VTEC engages it dips in power... Only way to correct it is by Dyno tuning... So I heard...

·
0 Posts
BBKA.... did you try activating VTEC earlier, say 3000 rpms or whenever the turbo fully spools? the arguement that "honda designed VTEC to engage @ XXXX rpm" doesnt really apply when you're dealing with a turbo setup, because well, honda didnt design their engines with turbo in mind.

it makes sense to me that the turbo could use the higher lift cam as soon as possible..

O

·
0 Posts
vtec does hurt the pwoer curve some yes, but ont he streets with a proeprly tuned car, the loses are minium and the gain of a nice ideling and driving car udner normal load way outweighs disadvantages. also v-tec heds flow better than non. so that's also a + on it's side.

T

·
0 Posts
oscar.... what are you talking about?

SOHC VTEC is wuss. On a force inducted application, I've always set my VTEC engagement point at my full boost RPM and have had minimal issues. The only problem I have is at part throttle boosting when I hit the VTEC crossover, and I'm not at full boost. It's obnoxious to hear my air flow change, but, during races, it's on hit.

As far as VTEC heads flowing better than non-VTEC heads... who are you kidding? The Z6 may be the only one who can claim an attirbute like that. Have you compared the heads.. lined them up in a row and looked at the ports? ...let me tell you, I'd take a A6 head over a Y8 (if VTEC weren't the deciding factor) *ANY* day. The Y8 head is a POS. Designed for better swirl, and increased fuel economy. The Z6 can be the only one to claim to be a "performance" SOHC VTEC head.

·
Premium Member
18,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, that is all some great info!!!

I did dyno tune my car and knolled out the dip. I was just talking to some friends and some of them were saying that "VTEC is bad for a turbo"! I just wanted to find out before I started to say no!

Thanks again for the enlightening info!

O

·
0 Posts
TurboEF9 said:
oscar.... what are you talking about?

SOHC VTEC is wuss. On a force inducted application, I've always set my VTEC engagement point at my full boost RPM and have had minimal issues. The only problem I have is at part throttle boosting when I hit the VTEC crossover, and I'm not at full boost. It's obnoxious to hear my air flow change, but, during races, it's on hit.

As far as VTEC heads flowing better than non-VTEC heads... who are you kidding? The Z6 may be the only one who can claim an attirbute like that. Have you compared the heads.. lined them up in a row and looked at the ports? ...let me tell you, I'd take a A6 head over a Y8 (if VTEC weren't the deciding factor) *ANY* day. The Y8 head is a POS. Designed for better swirl, and increased fuel economy. The Z6 can be the only one to claim to be a "performance" SOHC VTEC head.
Your engine would better suit you first fof if you proeprly tuned the Vtec engagment point to switch at peek torque. you would have less issues and lag during the engagement peroids, but you knew that right????

YES, I was refering to the Z6 head, but to anwer your ?, I WOULD take a Y8 over any A6 any day. the streetableility and cam midifications for the Y8 are far greater for that of an A6. you mod that A6 too much and you get crappy idle and streetability. Again, you knew this too right????

SOHC Vtec is not wuss. There is a place for everything, and for street purposes to be able to have a aftermarket wildcam setup with a stock puring idle is awesome. try that with an A6. You get lumpy gass eating everytime. But you knew this too right???

·
0 Posts
big lumpy cam with high overlap and long duration + turbo = gay. But you knew this right?????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts