Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my Gears are all close with a 4.3 FD . the 1st to 3rd i think are from a CRX . and the rest are custom made . is it a good setup for turbo or should i get back a stock gearbox , what are my improvements

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
All I can say is, for daily driving, long gears are great with a turbo. Many here disagree, but thats the Honda world for you, everyone thinks they are a drag racer because they make it to the track once or twice a year.

High Horsepower VW's opt for the longest gears they can find. However their gears start off really short to begin with.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha ic . every week i play drag and almost everyday on the way home from work with anyone at the lights . i dont travel much long distance as my country is pretty damn small (64km across ) . im looking for something that can help my pickup from traffic light to traffic light . but i heard with close gears you cant get as much boost as you have to keep shifting everytime your turbo kicks in .

O

·
0 Posts
Honestly, you could leave the shorter gears in there and test the car out. see if you like it. but remember with a turbo, your going to be shifting a LOT faster due to faster engine rev and responce. so you may yourself not like shifting that much sooner. it's a personal choice.
I would go with the tall gears as I have done now. I'm running a DC 5speed built up instead of an EX because the pwoer I have is much greater it helps with gas and how the turbo hit and whne it hits.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
don't forget about the wheel spin you geet from short gears with more horses...i personnaly would like taller gears at the end and shorter up front to get off the line...

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
I have a DX with a Quaife. I ran my car at 18psi on saturday with my super 16g. I got 1 nice run before lifting the head, but basically what happend was from a 5mph roll in 1st, as soon as I hit 3500rpm, the tires broke loose; shifted to 2nd at 6500rpm, tires grabbed 2nd from 3500rpm and broke loose at 4500. From a roll in 3rd, I punch the throttle at 3000rpm, and 18psi hit by 4000rpm, the tires broke loose at 5500rpm...

this was with the quaife LSD on Sumitomo HTRZ2 205/45/zr16.
I think that on the street, the DX is fine. If you are on drag radials, then you can go with shorter gears...

·
Registered
784 Posts
Tall gears suck for fun driving, rule for fuel economy. No d-series transmission has short gears, they are all rather long. Y8 transmission is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
But doesn't matter what kind of turbo your using? I plan on using a T3 60/63 w/ my dx tranny. The dx is probably the best w/ boost, but n/a and dx suck.

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
Just tossing this out there to play devils advocate...

Why bother building a turbo setup to tone-down the power delivery with a long (or *longer*) geared tranny???? Why not just run a shorter tranny like the y8 with *less* boost???

I'd rather run 10psi with a y8 than 14psi with a y7... Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
kommon_sense said:
Just tossing this out there to play devils advocate...

Why bother building a turbo setup to tone-down the power delivery with a long (or *longer*) geared tranny???? Why not just run a shorter tranny like the y8 with *less* boost???

I'd rather run 10psi with a y8 than 14psi with a y7... Just my $0.02...
Which 1 will make more hp?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Power is not the detemining factor in any race. Time is. The guy with the most power does not always win the race. What kommon-sense is trying to say that by just using a shorter geared transmission(and they arent that short, they are about the same as the long geared LS transmission but the are actually longer in 4th and 5th) you can run similar times as running a long geared transmission with increased boost pressure. There is more to racing than just power.

Also as mentioned, most of us arent really racing their cars but driving them and occassionally racing/beating on them. Still the Y8/Z6 transmission is the best choice as it simply isnt a short geared transmission it is a shorter geared transmission. If you are really worried about fuel economy but want a car with more punch, then by all means go with the longest geared transmission you can find.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Sorry i worded that wrong. I know the z6,y8 are the same as the ls. I dont race my car or beat on it, but just want some xtra power. But i cant decide which tranny i want between the y8/my current dx?

Sorry for jacking your thread.

O

·
0 Posts
anyone got a Y8 core they don;t need? I'ld like to get the 2nd and 3rd and 4th out of it to install in my Dx for better low and mid. i just like the 5th for highway on the DX.

D

·
0 Posts
Longer gears = more load on the engine which = more wear. I prefer shorter gears as long as I'm not having to hit 5th in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
damn dont think u understand my concern . its my thought that longer gears u can stay in " boosting zone " longer without having to keep chanigng . unlike close gears where once ur turbo spools up u have to change gear already . i want to know which will help push out the most power in terms of eg. 1/4 mile etc.

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
However you will get faster spool up with shorter gears...

Basically its hand in hand. You won't stay in boost as long with a closer geared tranny, however the boosted powerband is no less effective, you will just go through it quicker

1 - 20 of 25 Posts