Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 14b (tdo5h) started puking out oil on the exhaust side pretty bad (used turbo), and tossing oil back into the cylinder head, i pulled it off today, and i'm going to tear it open in the next day or so. i was thinking about possible upgrades, pelsise recommended this upgrade: 16g, which would be nice, b/c i could keep my setup as it is, and have a better turbo. i noticed the option for clipping, would that be a good idea? the other thing i was planning on doing was getting a polished 14b exhaust housing (o2 sensor housing). since i'm not shooting for insane hp goals (under 300), the 16g upgrade in my 14b housing would be a nice sleeper upgrade, that seems to be a good size turbo, even if i build the bottom end for more boost.

1. does the upgrade sound like a good investment for midrange/high end power?

2. would clipping be a good idea?

3. any other comments/advice?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
IT's a nice turbo for your power goals. the 16G will flow enough to support over 300WHP with supporting mods. I'd stay away from clipping unless you willing to lose some low end spool-up for top end flow.

What do you mean by polished O2 housing, or do you mean ported?

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've seen ported and polished o2 sensor housings on the net, a few on ebay even. i thought it may be a good investment.

i need to read more about clipping, i wasn't exactly sure of the purpose, thanks for the response

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I'd recommend getting a EVO III O2 housing. It's 2 1/2" compared to the 2G DSM 2" and the 1G 2" with the smaller waste gate port. I'd also recommend porting the exhaust housing to match a EVO III gasket for both the inlet and outlet.

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm... good info, i'll check that out as well.

i wasn't sure what all was interchangeable with the 14b, apparently alot.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Clipping is 75$... for that price, it's probably worth it getting a complete 16g with the 7CM housing. Stock the 14B has the 6CM exhaust housing. (Comparable A/R 6cm housing is close to 0.40-0.45, 7cm housing is roughly 0.45-0.52, 10cm (TD05) is 0.65-0.70). The TD05 Turbine wheel also has more fins (Hence more restrictive) than a T3.
the FULL 16g has a 7cm housing which will open you up a bit in the mid/top end. I've been driving my 10cm housing around and theres not much lag...

With regards to td05h's, they'll all swap into your current exhaust housing, so if money's tight, don't ditch the housing...

the points above about a different o2 housing are definitely valid. The less restriction you have in the exhaust, the faster you'll spool, and the better the top end will be... once again, changing parts means more money...

1 more thing before you upgrade, and if you have the time, is to check what shape your current housing is in. Look around your wastegate for cracks. If you have some, spend the money now to get the full 16g with a new housing as the cracks will eventually lead to exhaust leaks...

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info once again, pelsise.

i plan on getting the 16g upgrade, fully polished from these guys.

getting wheel clipped sounds like good idea to me as well, while i'm at it.

right now i need to find info on ripping the turbo apart, all i have is gnntype.org, and their turbo rebuild info is primarily for regal t3s or whatever.

keep the info coming!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
but think clipping it means its smaller therefore needs more time to spin to get more boost. It may spool a bit faster for boost to come in sooner but for a lil lose in power.

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maybe for a turbo of that size, it may not be the best idea, i don't know for sure...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts