Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in a bit of a dilemma. My project car is a 91 civic sedan, i believe it has the d16a6. I have a t25 turbo with 70,000 miles (not bad).

I have decided to go turbo, but i have someone who is willing to sell me a b18 block that ran when it came out of the motor for 50 bucks.

I could probably get a head for a couple hundred, and have a b18. Now i need a tranny, ls tranny 500 bucks if im lucky. Mounts will be 500 easily. Then i need axles, rebuild kit, and boom 1500 wrapped up in this naturally aspirated b18.

Or i could spend 1500 on this civic, rebuilding the motor with YCP vitara pistons, forged eagle rods, bisimoto turbo cam, ectune. Pretty much set.

What im really wanting to know, if the b-series motor worth it that much? I would like 300whp and i think that is perfectly do-able with a d-series. (i know i will need a bigger turbo) Just give some input please thx.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
save the money and boost the D.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im just going to turbo, build the b-series in the mean time, and swap it in my 99 civic cx hatch once that motor goes. Its got a while before it goes, so i will just build it very very slowly. 50 bucks is hard to pass up. Plus it will be a way easier swap and it will still get good gas mileage. civic hatch is DD.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Depends on your long term power goals IMO.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
d-series.org.... means go Dseries or GTFO

just messin

i would turbo the d, and watch how the trq curve acually follows the hp rather then a b series

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yep, turboing the D :) Nothing more than i would love to smoke some srt-4's. Still going to buy the b18, i will come across a head eventually. Little Lsvtec dd, while i have a turbod d-series. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
Ask this on a DOHC forum and youll get the opposite of what the members here say.

My advice would be to choose the one that has the best HP/price ratio.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
turbo the LS man. Its got lots of torque too. Make it an LS/VTEC and get the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah but if i can get vitaras, eagle rods, gasket kit, and a turbo cam all for the price of the head and mounts that i am going to have to buy, then why not turbo the D and save the B. I am not rich, working full time to go to school next semester. College Kid budget, thats pretty limited. I wll be doing all the work and labor myself though.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
idk where you got a price of 500 for a head unless its a VTEC head but ya i understand. you can boost a pretty much stock LS and get 300 though

1 - 20 of 23 Posts