Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i bought my project motor today that i will spend the winter building and im still stuck on what to run for a turbo. Here is basically what the build will be.

By the way this will be my daily driver. :mikej:

Bottom End
-D16Y8 Block: Stock Bore, Stock Sleeves
-Vitara Std. Pistons
-Eagle Rods
-ARP Rod bolts & head studs
-All new bearings, seals, water pump, oil pump ect

Head
-D16Y8 Head: Stock Ports
-Zex turbo cam
-Zex Springs
-Stock Retainers
-Stock valves
-Hondata heat shield intake gasket

Turbo Kit: HMT Style
-Log Manifold
-Tial Wastegate
-Crushed 1g BOV
-Walbro 255 fuel pump
-JRC 6" FMIC... Might upgrade to a Precision 350hp
-2.5" Charge Pipes
-Stealthmode oil lines
-CROME ECU
-xx/xx Turbo???

I would like to be able to make around the 300whp+ range on a race tune and prolly stick right around 225-250whp on a street tune. I dont want to jump on the whole "im buying a huge turbo cuz its cool" band wagon. i want something that is big enough to support my goals and that will be able to make power to about 8000rpms and will still have a decent spool time. I also dont want to spend an ass load on a turbo, 500 or less is what i would like to spend. What are your suggestions??

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
depend when you want to make power.... earliest = 50 --- 54 --- 57 = latest Also, smaller the exhaust housing, the quicker the spool (but you will lack the topend...)

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
perfect turbo for those goals whould be.
t3/t4e .48/.60
46 trim
stage 1 wheel
if you want any more power than 300 hp then your spool is going to suffer.
but thats pretty much one of the smaller t3/t4 turbos that will makew those goals nicely with a faster spool.
heres a link.

http://www.blaastperformance.com/index.php?p=t3t04e-46

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
perfect turbo for those goals whould be.
t3/t4e .48/.60
46 trim
stage 1 wheel
if you want any more power than 300 hp then your spool is going to suffer.
but thats pretty much one of the smaller t3/t4 turbos that will makew those goals nicely with a faster spool.
heres a link.

http://www.blaastperformance.com/index.php?p=t3t04e-46

That is actually one of the turbos ive been looking at but i wasnt sure. I really like that site though. Cheap as hell compared to alot of others ive seen!

Around when do you think it would start to spool and reach full boost on the t3/to4e 0.63/0.50 46 trim? Like i said above i would like to make power to right around 8000rpms so i would be happy with full boost around 4500 or so.

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
thats really hard to determine. too many variables to tell. but mine is a .63/.60 57 trim stage 3 wheel and it really starts to pull at around 5000. so i think youll be fine. alot of people use them with only like 7 to 10 pounds on a stock bottom end and are happy with the results. these turbo dont really wake up until 12 pounds on up so i think youll be more than happy.

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool thanks alot.

Just curious, how many psi did it take you to hit the 405whp?? Thats pretty impressive!

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
25psi, but fast2camciv who is the previous owner of my car thinks that it more like 440 to 450hp now because hes been tweaking the fuel maps since the dyno.
his trapspeed in the quarter mile was 127 with a full interior. thats puts it around that hp range. ill have to see when i go to dyno it in the spring. right now she hybernating for the winter.

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ive seen a video and some info on your car. it moves damn good! i saw that it said you are running a stock head. is it just stock ports with a cam or is it bone stock?

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
ive seen a video and some info on your car. it moves damn good! i saw that it said you are running a stock head. is it just stock ports with a cam or is it bone stock?
stock head
stock cam
stock t/b
no p/p

only 3 mods to the motor
1. eagle rods
2. vitara pistons
3. arp headstuds

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats really impressive. Maybe ill just leave my head stock for now then and throw the $5-600 i was planning for the head towards putting the turbo kit together and see where i sit when im done. And if i decide i want more power ill build the head down the road.

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
At least port the head.....good port work will alow for better spooling, better flow and some gain in Torque and HP.....

·
Registered
1994 Civic Ej1
54 Posts
drunkinmaster1, What is it like driving that thing around... It's a work of art in my opinion. That car really is my hero right now and has put a lot of enthusiasm for me back into my car. Do you drive it around in that form or do you detune it for daily driving? If so how is that done?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
drunkinmaster1, What is it like driving that thing around... It's a work of art in my opinion. That car really is my hero right now and has put a lot of enthusiasm for me back into my car. Do you drive it around in that form or do you detune it for daily driving? If so how is that done?
driving it around is a total adrenaline rush. on the weekends i love to hunt for v8s. the feeling on the topend is enough to give anyone a boner. pins you back all the way to 130.
right now its on the garage because the brakes are pretty much toast for now. but it was driven daily on the same tune. if i drive it like grandpa, it stays out of boost and feels just like a n/a civic. i can drive from work to home and stay out of boost the whole way. but thats a rarity. i usually end up taking the long way home just to get on it at least once:twisted: boost is always a there if i need it with this turbo

·
Registered
11 Posts
i going to be coming into a shit load of money here soon around 15g's and i want to max of my d16y8's (in my 92 si hatch) power w/ a massive turbo set up like no other, i want to be able to kill the shit out of most if not all ricers or mussle for that matter on the street. how much hp can it take safely so i can drive it every weekend or so and take it to time- attacks and shit everyonce and a while, i dont ever want to blow it up cuz i get one chance to do this right and it needs to last basicly forever

1 - 20 of 21 Posts