Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello new to d series.org but but not to the Honda game I have a 98 civic ex and the d16y8 has 166000 miles on it but I just replaced the crank and bearings because previous owner made the car have a terrible knock and one bearing was in pieces but I want to turbo it but im so confused on all the pieces I guess I need the following and add what else I may need and where do I get this stuff because I have to only use the internet cuz the Midwest sucks
So here the list
Bov
Wastegate
Intercooler
Piping
Obd1 conversion
Piping
Turbo
So what else do I need and where can I either piece these together or buy a whole kit and I know the d16y8 needs the zc fuel pump? But also since i got 166000 miles i plan on definetly getting pistons but will my head be fine with arp studs only or should i get a new stock head

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Check the showcase for build threads.
But ill be nice today maybe ill get some good karma.

It can all be done on your 1.5k budget.
First you should be what you will use to tune it or your tuner. Id say get it tune by a pro if you dont know what your doing.
i.e. obd1 ecu with crome, hondata or neptune.
Next get a wideband. With the wideband o2 you will be able to install it as soon as you get it. Also it a safety gauge gives you a heads up on whats happening in the motor.

Your need bigger injectors. I say 410cc and up. If you plan to keep the block stock then 440cc rc or 440cc dsm injectors will do find. If you plan on more power down the road then get some 550cc and up.

Fuel pumps are a yes and no. For stock block power.
Which is right around 220-250hp. YOu can leave the stock fuel pump.

So that covers fuel management.
Now the parts needed to get it turboed.
Your need manifold. Cast iron to clear ac and they last longer.
Ram horn or log style if you dont care for ac.
Turbo. A t25 is good for a street car. Fast spool and will run to redline.
Or a small t3 will work also. It will spool a little bit later tho.
How many psi to run????? Dont ask that question. Its all about how much hp it makes is your limit for the MOTOR. However the stock honda map sensor can only READ 10psi.
After that it will just tell the computer your at 10psi even if your at 20psi

downpipe. custom fab or pre done. predone will cost more and you have to find someone that will do it. You can sometimes take an ebay downpipe and mod it to fit.

Oil lines. feed should be -4an you can get oil from a sandwhich plate off the oil filter or tee the stock oil psi sender, oil resistor will depend on turbo.

Return line will is normally -an fittings with a some hose or barb fitting. You will need to mock everything up then drill the oil pan.

Intercooler and piping.
ebay has some premade kits which will work, they also have bends that can be cut to fit. I made all of mines out of steel and welded up as much i as could to cut down on couplers.

blow off valve to stop compressor suruger. There all different in types and sound but do all the same stuff.

Now wastegate is use for controlling boost. If your turbo is external wg then you can use the ebay 38mm with a spring that is for the lowest amount of boost you want to run.

Internal wastegaed you adjust the arm to up boost.
Either way you cant lower boost only up it above spring rate.

Spark plug. You can run the ngk i belive the part number is 4464 i may be run but there 7s and are two heat range cooler then stock.

that should be everything to get you up and running. There is tons or information on this site and other will tell you to search or flame you.
honestly i would have to but throw you a bone.
good luck with everythign.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow you guys are helping alot more then other forums so you mostly answered all my questions but the im still wondering if I should change my head and pistons

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Wow you guys are helping alot more then other forums so you mostly answered all my questions but the im still wondering if I should change my head and pistons
If you have the money and time then build the block before the turbo goes in. Piston and thicker rods notch block. also NO need to change the head.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Also would the injectors from a non turbo 91 eagle talon work because I found a wrecked one at a junkyard
NO you need a turbo car which should have the dsm blue top which are 450cc.
the no turbo is like 275cc which isnt going to cut it.
Also dont forget the resistor box for the injectors.

even with 166000 miles on head
If its taking care of and nothing is wrong then it will work. At most id do valve stream and clean it. But its not needed. Im boost on way more miles then your motor and so are some other here. The heads are go to flow around 400hp.
Just take care of the motor and change the oil on time.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
I would rebuild the head at least... Honestley I would just do a whole overhaul, but at a 1500 build I would ask people on here what they can sell you. I have some 450 dsm if you need them. GL

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If its taking care of and nothing is wrong then it will work. At most id do valve stream and clean it. But its not needed. Im boost on way more miles then your motor and so are some other here. The heads are go to flow around 400hp.
Just take care of the motor and change the oil on time.
what about pistons I want just 200-250 horses

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This may be a really nooby question but is the obd conversion a physical wiring harness change or do I plug something into the USB thing under the steering wheel sorry forgot what it's called

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Plus with the downpipe the car already has a full exhaust so can i just bolt the new headers to the downpipe i already have

·
Registered
85 Posts
This may be a really nooby question but is the obd conversion a physical wiring harness change or do I plug something into the USB thing under the steering wheel sorry forgot what it's called
Search, you should be very greatful all of that good information was just dumped on you.
Plus with the downpipe the car already has a full exhaust so can i just bolt the new headers to the downpipe i already have
Why would the downpipe your using now fit your new manifold with out modification?

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Check some of the stickys they have tons of information.
Obd1 conversion is ecu and jumper harness. Only works on 5speeds tho.
The downpipe your talking about??? That just screams do your home work if you thought it would work. That would be header to turbo, just not going to work.

Check out the greddy turbo kits and read the install guide on them. It will give you better idea on what you need to do to install a turbo.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts