Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a 98 civic si with the following specs. It has a dyno tuned turbo set up that runs on either 10 or 16 psi of boost. Can someone tell me how safe it is before I buy? Don't want it to blow! Engine was professionally done by Honda technicians.
Motor:
-D16Y8 Block remachined and cleaned up
-Golden Eagle Block Guard
-Scat H beam Rods with ARP rod bolts
-JE 9:1 Pistons
-Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel
-Stage 2 Comp. Clutch
-ARP Head studs
-OEM head with machine job, all new gaskets and valves re-machined
-Ported and shimmed oil pump
-New timing belt, water pump, alternator belt and power steering belt
-All new gaskets in and on motor
-New cap and rotor on Alternator
-New battery
-New fuel filter
-255 Fuel pump

note: only 5000km on engine.
Thanks.

·
Registered
Magnum RT
1,409 Posts
Who is it dyno tuned by? How aggressive is the tune? Do you have proof it was tuned/built (graph/receipts)? Just because we know what the parts of the build are, doesn't necessarily mean it's "safe". A little more info would be nice. And welcome to the boards!

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Yep, I'd ask for receipts of the work. If none, then request to pull the oil pan to verify the internals.

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its proven .. Done at honda house I have dyno sheets.. 265hp..and thanks all.. More oppinions welcome

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
well if the cap and rotor on the alternator is good... that is important.

we dunno dude we didn't build it.

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
the truth. It will hurt tho.
You have to tear the block apart and put it back together to truly know whats inside of it and if it was build right.
On the tune if you have proof it was tuned and made x amount of power and the afr where y. And all that checks to be good then ok.

IMO i would never buy a car that someone has already done work to. You dont know what they cheated out on or what they might not have done.
Turbo honda can last almost along as none turbo honda if done RIGHT.

So just weight things out. cost to rebuild everything if something is bad vs buying one none turbo and doing it yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know the guy so I trust it .. And I may stop by honda house to ask about it .. They would remember lol.thanks again

·
Registered
1991 Civic SI
2,229 Posts
this sounds like a bunch of fail. NEVER imo buy a car someone else has one motor work to unless its by a reputable shop. even then. eh

·
Registered
406 Posts
Generally people only sell their built cars if something went wrong and they're fed up or if they run out of money mid build.

This car seems to be finished; I'll let you connect the dots.

Also, I'll re-iterate what others have said: Buying someone else's project car, no matter how well you know them, is a gamble!

Good luck with it, but the more information you can learn about boosted Ds and about the car, the likely better off you'll be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts