Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
honda coupe
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At what point is the turbine housing that holds the journal bearings considered scrap metal and damaged beyond hope. The bearing on compressor side looks perfectly fine. The turbine side, well not too well. Its all blue and heat damaged. Shaft is pretty heat damaged too. If images don't load when clicked press the "view full size" and try a few times. Not sure why I had to try a few times.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Throw it back together and measure the radial play. That'll tell you if it's in spec or not.

·
Registered
honda coupe
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. The specs are about .001+/-
Just wanted to try rebuilding to extend my knowledge. It wasn't spinning at idle. That's most likely the cause of bluish color. Prior to dissasembly it had no major shaft play. Just the normal play a good turbo would have. Maybe the idiot who so called "rebuilt" it prior to my purchase tightened the turbine and compressor bolts too much so it wouldn't spin freely. Then ran for few days. Realized he probably messed it up and decided to clean it up and resell. No contacting of housings or chipped fins. Guess I'll try a rebuild first. Run it very quickly to make sure it spins freely on idle. Then pull it out send to GPOP to balance the CHRA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts