Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so this page is to help with most of the common turbo questions:

How much psi can I run on stock D15-D16?
- Well it’s not 5-6psi, 7-8psi/ safe… every motor is different, some can handle 10psi and others only 7psi. It all depends on what size turbo; you could have the same power from a .48 trim turbo running like 12psi as you can with a 62. Trim turbo running only 5 or 6psi.
• And it doesn’t matter if its low boost or high, get some kind of fuel management/ tune done. Most people just throw injectors and 225 fuel pump on and think that will be okay… well go ahead but without some kind of fuel management system you mines as well leave it stock

How much hp can my bottom end hold?
- Most d-series motors with stock rods/ can hold 225whp sometimes more, sometimes less

How much boost can my stock head hold?
- A stock head can hold 400+ hp, you have just got to make sure you have the right headgasket and the right head studs, also cooling because if the head has lift and gets too hot it can crack
*other note: once you get past a point, the head will only allow so much air into the combustion chamber, not that its bad but it will really choke up you power.

What’s the strongest d-series motor?
- Well it really depends on what you’re talking about, but the non- vtec d15b7 has had a lot of head's turnet, there have been many cases where people run as much as 15 on a stock d15b7 with a .57 trim!!! But at 15 psi that’s when that motor likes to go boommm!

What size turbo is best?
- It’s all up to you, a.48 trim is good for a quick spool and low end power but at higher rpm’s it tends to drop off power. The .57trim is a good choice for a wide band of power it spools pretty quick but also has better high end power. The .70 trim is a much bigger turbo for a d-series motor and takes a bit longer to spool but it has more top end power than most. And agin the bigger the turbo the less psi you will need, it’s all about size;)!

Is an eBay turbo good?
- this is one of the most often asked questions. Well and eBay turbo is cheap in price but it does have its up’s and down’s. The turbo its self is usually good, but the oil lines and small parts like that are the most common part to fail. The eBay turbo manifolds are mostly cheaply made of crack real easily or even have really restrictive port size. The other big concern with eBay turbo kits is the clamps and hosing it comes with. The clams are really week most of the time and allow the rubber hoses to slip off under boost pressure. The eBay rubber 180* elbow is the worst kind of turbo piping component you can have. So it’s all up to you and how much you want to spend, but as some advice, I’d go with the more expensive name brand kit. Because in the long run you will have to upgrade/ replace all the broken parts on the eBay kit over and over

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
How much boost can my stock head hold?
- A stock head can hold 400+ hp, you have just got to make sure you have the right headgasket and the right head studs, also cooling because if the head has lift and gets too hot it can crack
Thread is a good idea, but could be a LOT more specific....and correct.
What you said was correct for the MOST part, but I would revise it

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good post. After a few additional remarks and editing to get everything right, this will be a good help for alot of people with the info being all in one place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts