Honda D Series Forum banner

Turbo question ....

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Kaluna808 
#1 ·
Currently I have a setup that doesn't make good power. Made 169hp on a mustang dyno.

Granted it was through a stock cat, resonator and a 2.25 inch apexi exhaust.

Its a spoolin performance tubular log manifold with a recirculated down pipe.
The turbo is a t3/t4 garret 50 trim. It has a cutout but wasn't used with the dyno numbers above.

My question is , Should I give up on this set up and redo it with a different manifold , bigger turbo and a 3 inch exhaust ( no ac ) straight to a muffler ? Or will this setup make some power ?

I am after 300 hp on e85. It is going to be less of a daily soon.

#2 ·
the stock cat is pretty restrictive. try dynoing it with the cutout open before trashing your existing system though.

I noticed a huge change in character when I swapped my stock exahust to a 3" catless on my old coupe

#4 ·
The o2 is currently down stream from the cutout. And it was previously "tuned" on a dynojet and made 199 at 8 psi. The 169 numbers are at the same 8 psi.

I am currently building a vitara engine with RC rods with a stock head shooting for 300 with that setup. I just do not want to see low numbers again.

#7 ·
The assassin on here made like 280whp on a t3 60 trim (dont remember if it was .48 ar or .63 ) but if he can do that on a 60 trim your 50 trim should make over 300 no problem , I would just open up your exhaust some.

#9 ·
I made 175hp/165tq with a t25. I was super bummed when i got the call that my car's finished being tuned and hearing thats all i made. But i ALSO had a OE cat, and a clutch that slipped on the dyno. I just spent 1,300 on Intake and Exhaust manifolds and a new turbo. If i dont see over 200hp i quit lol. Also, even tho i only made 175/165 it was plenty of fun!

#11 ·
Definitely need to open the cutout on dyno or switch to 3" all the way.
My vitara block stock head z6 made 3whp @18psi on 93oc

#12 ·
I have a spoolin log manifold on the 2.5" AC downpipe and 2.5" ss straight exhaust all the way back. I make 308@18psi on a garret t3/tO4e .57 trim on pump gas 92+. The log manifold will do just fine if you want to keep AC. I would just get your block in there, and make up a new exhaust 2.5" or 3" and retune @20 psi and you should be happy.

#13 · (Edited)
^^ that..and in my opinion..if you have a compressor map for that turbo, that would help you identify where it flows best..
and if i were you, dont compare the numbers between dynojet and that heartbreaker mustang dyno..you wont be comparing it apples to apples..

also if you change that restrictive exhaust..that will wake it up..just my 0.02 though..

#17 ·
I have one lol. I know its a huge difference. It still only made 199 at 7 which is decent. Just want to make sure that people have made solid power with this turbo

Its a garrett t3/t4e 50 trim stage III wheel .48 ar. Thats exactly what it is.

#18 ·
It should make 300hp. Get a 3in exhaust and down pipe made up. Kteller pipe kit for the exhaust is awesome with a magna flow muffler. You just weld it up and it looks pretty much stock and is quite. You won't get stopped because it's not a fart can if you get the oval muffler.

With a built block you can make 300 hp on 93 octane also. Just in case you don't have many E85 stations around.

No real changes to be made for you're new hp goal, 3in exhaust and down pipe everything other then that is good to go. As long as you're clutch will hold up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.