Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay where to start!...i got my self a 91 crx Just a d16a6 sitting in rigth now! So i was going to put in my d16z6 motor and just leave it at that! But now i wanna go turbo cuz i found a great deal on a kit. so the guy that has the kit is going to send me a Tuned ecu with it. but it's tuned for a Non vtec ZC sohc motor! so what i wanted to know with my z6 can i run a non vtec ecu and just get a vtec controller?????

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts
im gonna break it down real simple.

do not run the turbo kit on the nonvtec zc map.

use the correct ecu for the motor you have, which would be the p28 or a chipped ecu running the correct map. . there is plenty of info on all of this on this site and you would be wise to use it .

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts
i would just boost that a6 you have, and build the z6 that you have for bigger and better things. nothing wrong with the a6 its a great motor..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i was thinking about it!...but can i run that ecu? the one from the zc non vtec motor?....i didnt think it would be much of a diffrence...but my car is also obd1 so yeah i hate cars sometimes! haha

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
depending on alot of other factors but the no tec zc is almost identicle to the a6. so i am pretty sure it would be a safe basemap assuming u are using his complete turbo kit. this means it should be safe to get u to a tuner to get him to fine tune it for u. and i totally agree with cory that u should save the z6 and build it for boost.

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
i would just boost that a6 you have, and build the z6 that you have for bigger and better things. nothing wrong with the a6 its a great motor..
perfectly said

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah i was going to use the whole turbo kit from the guy! and the ecu he has is already street tuned. But now i might just boost the a6 for awhile and yeah build up the z6..thanks guys

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Yeah i was thinking about it!...but can i run that ecu? the one from the zc non vtec motor?....i didnt think it would be much of a diffrence...but my car is also obd1 so yeah i hate cars sometimes! haha
The 91 rex is obd-1? Was it converted over already?

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
...but my car is also obd1
The 91 rex is obd-1? Was it converted over already?
Good question. The CRX should be ODB0, although the ECU for the Non vtec ZC sohc motor might well be OBD1. If that is the case, you will need to convert to OBD1 to use that ECU. mrfunktastic is right on the money as far as the rest goes.

yeah turbo on non vtec map is bad.
WTF are you talking about? The problem has nothing to do with it being turboed. The ECU is supposed to be tuned for the turbo kit already. It's because the Z6 is a VTEC motor and the best way to deal with that it to use the correct factory ECU (properly chipped and tuned of course!)

·
yEaH tHaT gUy!!!
my hatchy
3,178 Posts
Good question. The CRX should be ODB0, although the ECU for the Non vtec ZC sohc motor might well me OBD1. If that is the case, you will need to convert to OBD1 to use that ECU. mrfunktastic is right on the money as far as the rest goes.

WTF are you talking about? The problem has nothing to do it being turboed. The ECU is supposed to be tuned for the turbo kit already. It's because the Z6 is a VTEC motor and the best way to deal with that it to use the correct factory ECU (properly chipped and tuned of course!)

:werd:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts