Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a low mileage (or relatively low mileage (97k)) D16Z6 and I want to boost it, but as a daily day driver, I'm not looking to run 11 second quaters with it. Probably something around 7lbs of boost (maybe a lil higher)..I have one basic goal to run power wise. I have a 2001 GTI VR6 that puts out 174 or 171hp at the wheels, I want to surpass that with high 100's or 200hp. From what I've been reading I'll need a relatively medium size/smaller size turbo, I see the T3/T4 brought up as well as the T25 (I think) brought up for this kind of setup. Though my question isn't really about the turbo system..it's about the engine and its endurance. I want to run 7-10lbs or somewhere around there as a daily driver but I don't want the danger of throwing a rod to ALWAYS be there if I try to pass somebody.

I talk to a lot of pple about this because I'm trying to contimplate whether I should do it or how I should do it and I get one similiar thing which is this: I can run 9lbs or so on an every-day driver with STOCK internals BUT with one catch, the engine won't last long before you throw a rod, might not happen immediately, but it won't last that long before something happens - and I don't want to take a chance on that.

From what I've read I should only need to bulid up the head if I'm going to rev it out more which I don't really intend to do, I wanna keep the 7.2k redline, so I assume I'll need to build the bottom half only. So what would I need to do to prep the engine for daily driving boost so it's not in danger of blowing anytime soon. I figure High comp pistons with forged rods (like eagle or something), bearings, and rings?

Any help asside from "go learn yourself" or some stupid shit like that is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
I put 35k miles on my stock (aside from head studs) D15B at 11psi and 198whp daily drivin. It would go much much more but I pulled it for my built engine. I also supercharged my old D15B7 with 230k miles on it. I boosted it at 10psi for apx 60k miles before she was starting to poop out. Yes nearly 300k miles on that engine BOOSTED! Go for it, tune it right and you will be safe.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Mileage isn't always the best indicator of engine condition.Id rather have a 150k motor that a 40 year old man who doesn't speed drove and had regular maintence done on,Then a 75k motor from a 18 year old that drives the piss out of his car non stop and buys his oil at the gas station for 99 cents and doesn't always change the filter like some kids i know do.Get a compression test if that comes back fine your good to go numbers should be in the 180's give or take 10-12.

Plenty of ppl boost 9psi stock block no problems,the key is in the fuel system and tuning/managment.Personally I wouldn't build a block for 9psi,unless it had problems stock but its not a bad thing if you want to either and it would deff. be safe as hell.Go with the compression ratio piston the guy above this mentioned if you do.

K

·
0 Posts
Stock D16 can handle 9 PSI fine...some people say that 10-12 is the limit for D-series...I had a Z6 and ran 9 for about 8 months and then 12 for about another 8 months and never had a problem.

the best thing is to get a good tune and your in there. I ran an AFC Hack but my timing and A/F's were good. Ran 13.6 on slicks at 100MPH.

and that was with a tiny TD04. I would say that would be fine but a T25 will get you closer to the 200 mark in single digits.

I made 154 with the TD04 and 9lbs of boost.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea the car was owned by a stay at home mom is I guess what you'd call her, bought it new, orig. owner, clutch was original, and perfectly fine, changed the timing belt when I bought it, I realize that a lot of pple say 9lbs is okay on a stokc motor but these are the same people that are saying the motor only lasted 8 months... That's my point, I don't want to run 9lbs and have no immediate effects but later have the engine crap out 10k down the road, I know for a fact that the engine is good condition, I haven't done a compression test though, I guess I'll do that if I know for sure what I'm going to do. I mean go figure I just hit a money problem right now so it'd have to wait anyways but I can't decide if I wanna swap it out for the prelude motor or a B16 or keep the D series and turbocharge it, i really like the idea of a D series turboed but I've never worked with a turbo setup before, never set one up, I have to find somebody to tune it (which I don't know where to look), so I'm trying to weigh out the pros/cons here until I know for a fact what I'm doing. If I did build the bottom end, it'd be purely for endurance over time, not so I can throw 20 psi at it. Tho like I said, I've never worked with a turbo before :-\

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
If your reallly that worried about it just get a good piston and rod combo,something that doesn't require notching the block to keep the cost down,and a cometic gasket,no need for sleeves or a bg if your not going to turn the whick up,new oil pump and new bearings.All that could easily cost under a grand depending on what you go with,when your money problems worked out.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
Bizzar said:
I put 35k miles on my stock (aside from head studs) D15B at 11psi and 198whp daily drivin. It would go much much more but I pulled it for my built engine. I also supercharged my old D15B7 with 230k miles on it. I boosted it at 10psi for apx 60k miles before she was starting to poop out. Yes nearly 300k miles on that engine BOOSTED! Go for it, tune it right and you will be safe.
:TU:, my z6 has 180,000 and I'm running 8 psi on it daily driven. I just went turbo in Dec, I had a jackson on it prev for 4 years or so at the same boost and haven't had any problems. Like Bizzar said, get a good, safe tune and you'll be fine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts