Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I recent (today) and unexpectedly acquired a 1990 civic DX with what I believe to be a D15B2 engine in it, this car is basically pristine (less than 150K miles, great paint too). My first instinct was to sell the thing and walk away, but a friend of a friend offered a used turbo setup for this car for $250 (apparently includes everything except for injectors) though I am a super charger kind of guy. My question here, is where or not there are any decent super chargers for this engine, I can't seem to find anything anywhere regarding this subject. My goal is maybe ~150ish HP, just a fun clean stock looking daily driver, and maybe auto cross car. I seem to see a lot. of very different opinions on the matter, some people say it will blow up immediately, some say its reliable to 200 HP, I just want a different and fun little car to toy with. The turbo setup is extremely tempting, but I'm hoping you guys might have some more accurate answers for me.
I know MPFI and injectors at the very are going to be a must
Thank you in advanced!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I like a blower in most of these cases, the problem is the options for hondas are pretty limited somewhat having to do with mounting issues.

Putting a turbo on there is certainly the path of least resistance. As far as it working, there's not a reason it would "blow up" any sooner than anything else . . . tuning goes a long ways here.

If you have the tools, ability, and space then I would grab an eaton off craigslist cheap. I bought an M112 off an 03 cobra that needed bearings for $150. I've never seen one on a honda that big (mine is going on a gen 1 SBC) but I see the m62s and m90s pretty regularly for $100-200 in good shape.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
go to a junkyard, and grab the complete intake manifold, throttlebody, and injectors from a 92-95 civic. make sure its a d15b7 or d16z6 setup.

find the DIY on converting to OBD1, get it running with a STOCK untouched OBD1 ecu. P06 for d15b7 setup.

dont jump right to turbo or supercharger. get the OBD1 conversion running as smooth as you can. adding forced induction is a useless goal if the foundation isnt correct!

This doubles as giving you more power and better gas mileage while you save for more parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you!! I'm a diesel guy normally, but I couldn't pass up this car (so far I'm less than $50 into it) and I'm a fairly competent mechanic but hondas are completely new to me. The obd1 setup is part of the MPFI conversion, right? I definitely plan on doing it right. I've always known super chargers to be more reliable and less likely to damage an engine which is part of the reason why I wanted to go that route, but a small turbo will be just fine. I think I'll pick up that setup and put it in a box in the back of my garage for now and start looking for conversion parts, thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more thing, what's the best way to identify those two setups? Is there a code in the VIN I could find? Or is it all visual?

·
Registered
50 Posts
One more thing, what's the best way to identify those two setups? Is there a code in the VIN I could find? Or is it all visual?
You don't need to check the VIN . . . you can tell just by looking at them.

The MPFI setups have an injector per runner whereas the motor you have is basically a throttle body injection setup.

The b7 vs the z6 intake isn't too tough if you know what to look for. The easiest thing to me is the center bolt holding the intake onto the head . . . on a b7 intake Honda gave you a relief in the casting so you can not only see the nut but you can get a wrench on it from the top of the motor. Ironically, the more desirable intake which is the z6, Honda didn't give you the relief so the only way to see/unfasten the center nut is from under/behind the intake.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You don't need to check the VIN . . . you can tell just by looking at them.

The MPFI setups have an injector per runner whereas the motor you have is basically a throttle body injection setup.

The b7 vs the z6 intake isn't too tough if you know what to look for. The easiest thing to me is the center bolt holding the intake onto the head . . . on a b7 intake Honda gave you a relief in the casting so you can not only see the nut but you can get a wrench on it from the top of the motor. Ironically, the more desirable intake which is the z6, Honda didn't give you the relief so the only way to see/unfasten the center nut is from under/behind the intake.
Awesome, thanks! I was thinking there were a bunch of other options like you meant "avoid the rest" im not familiar with these so thank you for bearing with me!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts