Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 civic hb
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
workin on my turbo build and im hooking up my oil pressure sender and running my turbo oil lines. Just wondering if any of you guys recommend putting any kind of sealant on the threads. The guys at orielly's said to use blue lock tite but that just doesnt sound right to me. some of those guys are functional retards

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Hell no. no locktite. As said an fittings dont need anything. Now on npt fittings I always use a little teflon tape.
Also how r u installing it? Teeing off the oil psi senor? Ir oil sandwhich plate?
I used a sandwhich plate with an inline 4an 1/8ntp gauge port for my setup.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Don't use teflon tape. Parts of the tape can get in the oiling system. If you're going to use anything use liquid teflon sealant. I used that on the tee to block fitting.
been using it for years without problems. I only put a little on and on the upper threads. I dont like liquid sealant on the oil fittings because when ever i removed them there is a crust of the sealant and it flakes off and goes inside.

but to each his own.

·
Registered
92 civic hb
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have an oil filter relocation kit that has 2 npt holes in it . i wasnt sure if an oil application would work with teflon tape. i thought it ate right through it.

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
Don't use teflon tape. Parts of the tape can get in the oiling system. If you're going to use anything use liquid teflon sealant. I used that on the tee to block fitting.
As a licensed plumber I will say that teflon tape is much safer than thread sealant. Some products used in plumbing very clearly state that using thread sealant will void warranties and recommend teflon tape. The thread sealant actually will solidify over time. I recommend using a high quality teflon tape like this that wont shred as easily Blue Monster™ PTFE Thread Seal Tape. Ive used it in everything from advanced geo-thermo recirculating systems to pressure reducing valves. If anything with thread sealant id recommend painting the threads lightly, then giving them 2 or3 wraps of the tape that I suggested above in conjunction with the pipe dope. Remember to use the sealant modestly

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
Bye the way, I had to replace an oil sending unit in my wife's car 2 months ago. Can you guess what was on the threads from the manufacturer? Thats right, tape.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Bye the way, I had to replace an oil sending unit in my wife's car 2 months ago. Can you guess what was on the threads from the manufacturer? Thats right, tape.
yeah but were talking an fittings. i dont use to seal i use to lock them in place.
just like i use that liquid on any bolt that i want to be tight for a long time. but yeah that shit does solidify after some time.

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
Youre right about AN fittings. Its actually better to use nothing on them; a simple snug fit will do. Tape is a major no-no on an tapered fittings.

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
Can someone show me a pic of this oil psi sensor?
Its just above the oil filter, or underneath the intake manifold on the back of the block and it uses a 1/8 npt thread. Read this article on remote mounting your oil pressure sensor from Larry Widmer (aka "the old one"). The Old One - Energy Dynamics : Articles
Id suggest anyone to read up on all his articles in case you havent already, very good reading.

And heres the pic of its location

·
Registered
92 EG, 88 ST165 WRC
410 Posts
Its just above the oil filter, or underneath the intake manifold on the back of the block and it uses a 1/8 npt thread. Read this article on remote mounting your oil pressure sensor from Larry Widmer (aka "the old one"). The Old One - Energy Dynamics : Articles
Id suggest anyone to read up on all his articles in case you havent already, very good reading.

And heres the pic of its location
This is exactly what I have been looking for... setting up gauges and have been stumped by the oil pressure sensor/location/mounting and so on. Reading gets me so far; I r dumb and need pictures whenever possible.

:bigok:

>>Dan

·
Registered
825 Posts
Like people said, nothing on AN fittings and a bit of teflon tape on NPT fittings works great :)

If you are using a sandwich plate make sure it filters the oil. Im not sure if youre running a stock motor or a fresh build but i had a sandwich plate grenade my turbo because it wasnt filtered and fed unfiltered oil into the turbos center housing

1 - 16 of 16 Posts