Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into turboing my 92 ex. I'm not sure whether to peice together a homemade setup or buy something. I know it's cheaper to build a kit, but I have found this, please don't flame me for even thinking about a SSAuto chrome kit but I have heard mixed things about their kits. Most of it saying that their new stuff isn't bad, just their old stuff. Any input on the topic is appreciated.

-Mitch

·
Registered
19 Posts
Printz said:
I'm looking into turboing my 92 ex. I'm not sure whether to peice together a homemade setup or buy something. I know it's cheaper to build a kit, but I have found this, please don't flame me for even thinking about a SSAuto chrome kit but I have heard mixed things about their kits. Most of it saying that their new stuff isn't bad, just their old stuff. Any input on the topic is appreciated.

-Mitch
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?p=562934#post562934
i asked the same thing lol. i've read reviews aobut the kit, and people have been running the setup for thousands of miles. you need to brace the manifold and use a flexpipe though. the main problem is the manifold and sometimes the turbo. i just bought the shit from my link (above) for 400, so it was a good deal. you can be like me, and just buy the kit, and scrounge up a manifold and/or turbo. but other than those two items, the kits good

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't want any serious power numbers just around 200 if possible on stock internals. 250 when I get the bottom end built. Will this setup with some fuel upgrades work?

·
Registered
629 Posts
not to be a dick, but check the sticky at the top of the FI forum.

Just remember, you get what you pay for. Don't forget the "old" performance triangle...fast, cheap, reliable; pick two.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
which sticky are you talking about? I read most of them, except the fake apexi turbo timer one. I have been doing alot of research into ss auto chrome and they seem to have fixed most of their issues with stuff breaking, I think most of their cost saving comes from fitment problems. I'm ok with having to cut and reweld the downpipe to make it fit properly, and the same for the charge piping. I understand that i get what i pay for.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Printz said:
which sticky are you talking about? I read most of them, except the fake apexi turbo timer one. I have been doing alot of research into ss auto chrome and they seem to have fixed most of their issues with stuff breaking, I think most of their cost saving comes from fitment problems. I'm ok with having to cut and reweld the downpipe to make it fit properly, and the same for the charge piping. I understand that i get what i pay for.
Whoops, I thought there was a sticky about ssac. They aren't absolutely horrible (the kit will "work")...but they are definately the bottom of the barrel when it comes to turbo parts. You have to realize that they are cutting cost somewhere. I've also heard that their customer service is horrible.

On a positive note, from what I understand they have gotten much better.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand they are cutting corners somewhere, it's usually fabrication which isn't expensive to fix. As long as the turbo doesn't leak or anything serious like that it should be fine. I'm not looking for huge power numbers so ss stuff should suffice for my needs, I was just looking for others peoples input. So thanks, maybe i'll start another thread and do a revue of their new stuff.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Printz said:
I understand they are cutting corners somewhere, it's usually fabrication which isn't expensive to fix. As long as the turbo doesn't leak or anything serious like that it should be fine. I'm not looking for huge power numbers so ss stuff should suffice for my needs, I was just looking for others peoples input. So thanks, maybe i'll start another thread and do a revue of their new stuff.
definately let us know how it works out :TU:

B

·
0 Posts
typically the turbo blows out, andthe manifolds crack...

if it were me, id buy a el cheap-o ebay bov, fmic and buy a factory t3 turbo (volvo, turbo coupe, 300zx) and buy a simple cast manifold, your better off that way, just run the t3 turbo with the stock internal gate and youll have a much better kit that ssauto...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do you mean the turbo blows out? They seem to have fixed the manifold cracking issue. The only thing I know about the IC piping is it takes some cutting and rewelding to get it to fit, which I don't really care about.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Printz said:
What do you mean the turbo blows out? They seem to have fixed the manifold cracking issue. The only thing I know about the IC piping is it takes some cutting and rewelding to get it to fit, which I don't really care about.
the oil seals get fucked up, which means it will smoke like a son of a bitch, and leak oil into your charge piping.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
98_4drCivic said:
the oil seals get fucked up, which means it will smoke like a son of a bitch, and leak oil into your charge piping.
The review i read on ss kits said that a little bit of oil is ok, because the turbo is sleeve bearing and the oil has to leak by that bearing a little bit to lubricate it. Is that correct?

·
Registered
629 Posts
You really will be happier if you at least upgrade the pieces that are prone to failure. If the mani is braced and you replace the turbo I bet you would be happy with the kit. Even if you don't replace the turbo, make sure at the very least you use an oil restricter.

C

·
0 Posts
go with ss shit, get a good t3/t4 used and a ns manifold for it and then ur done

1 - 20 of 26 Posts