Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a used GT2560 ball bearing turbo that is part of an edelbrock kit. I've been piecing together everything over the last week.

My machinist said to fill the turbo oil feed and measure the amount of oil so I know how much to add to the regular oil. I did this with limited success. In fact it backfired just like trying to fill the damn engine block through the oil filter location. Oil spilled over and I didn't get very much back.

Later I was putting the final touches on the coolant lines and the oil drain line (45 degree AN fitting) and turned over the turbo a few times. When I put it down I noticed oil was draining out of the log exhaust manifold.

When I put it on the engine and took the tape off the compressor side output a shit ton of oil drained out. What the fuck is this shit?!?

Are the seals explodified or is this typical for a BB turbo?

Pics for reference:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
oh....... wtf. Is it a new turbo? Maybe someone forgot to put in the seals when assembling it. That blows man.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
no its not normal. your used turbo is either shot, or just needs a rebuild

go to dsmtuners.com, and find justin. I think his username is JusX44 or something, fuck my memory.
hes the turbo rebuilding and modding guru for thousands of dsm guys. he also has decent prices for the amount of quality he puts into his work

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
How much oil? If the turbo is new it may just need to be broken in.
My turbo blow smoke for like the first 20miles. Scared me but after driving and getting into boost all was fine and i dont see and smoke.

So do this. Remove from car and turn upside down. Clean the turbo up. The plug the feed with your hand and pour oil in the drain till its full then see how long it takes to run out the compressor.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's definitely screwed. I went through the exact process you listed (a couple days ago), and very little oil came out of the feed. I figured it was the restrictor and plugged both ends. I saw oil coming out of one of the header ports as I put the coolant lines on, and didn't know what to make of it...until a ton of oil poured out of the compressor output.

A new cartridge looks to run $700+ (looking at ATPTurbo.com), but the tuner says he has a GT28RS he'll sell for $500. 5k miles and only a few dyno pulls on it. As long as I can make the charge piping/exhaust manifold work I'll probably go with that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts