Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been building some turbo lamps for a while now. I've built a total of three and they're all currently being used in my house and I love them. They're very unique and quite the conversation piece. I'm considering starting to make them to sell but I have no idea what to expect to be able to get for them. I see them as functional art while some see them as junk car parts. I've asked around getting opinions and people have said anywhere from $100 to $500. You guys are my people and I respect your opinions so I ask- what should I ask for these lamps?

Ignore the busted shade on this one.

The last one here was the most complicated. It has a total of three lights. One standard bulb up top then I machined out the housings and recessed two more 5w bulbs to light the center cartridge.

So.... what should I expect to get out of these?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
how much time does each one take? how much is the supplies to make them?

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Well obviously cover your materials cost (perhaps material +20%) then figure out what you think your time is worth? I'd expect to see things like this go for $300+ depending on how complicated it was, what matierials were used, etc. Would I buy one ... maybe not ... would I think the price point was reasonable at $300+ ... hell yeah.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't really go by that because each one is different and sometimes the parts are free, other times not. I can tell you the the latest one was the quickest yet and I have a solid 7 - 8 hrs in it plus about $20 in electrical parts for the actual lamp.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
What do you figure your time and skills are worth? You could do it straight by how much time it took to make it. Art is one of those touchy things that are hard to price because everyone prices their work a little differently, some attach some setiment to the peices, some do it by how long it took. I just googled some custom lamps (and shades) and saw prices ranging from $150 - $1200 (I think a lot of the higher prices had to do with the custom lamp shades that went with them). The bases seem to go for $150 - $600. I'd say you wouldn't be stretching by asking $300 or more, the peices are pretty unique and the people who would be interested in them would probably be willing to pay a little more for that uniqueness (hooray niche market).

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would say it depends on how many units you wish to make. Lower cost=bigger market. Higher cost=smaller market but less time spent producing. I would pay 100-150 for the top picture. The other thing to consider is you have a very industrial piece which your producing but the lamp shades don't quite match to me. I would like to see some sort of industrial looking shade as well to keep the theme of the piece.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree and disagree. The very neutral color of the shade tones the over lamp down to where it doesn't scream "look at me" when you see it on an end table in a nice home. I agree that a different more industrial looking shade would fit the piece if you focused on it solely. With that being said, the shade is the easy thing to change and can be changed to match the colors or attitude of the room.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not many women are going to allow this in the living room. That said its going to be in a garage or man cave etc. You want your friends to be drawn to it and see it, at least I would. Why not some sort of huge black cone filter? Or for more subtle appearance a simple black shade.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That makes it even cooler. I'm usually good at estimating prices but if I were you I would put it on eBay with a big reserve and see what you could get. I dont think its a stretch to put a $500.00 price tag on one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If I were a single man I would buy the last one, and wrap a straight round lamp shade in alacantra and do the stitching in whatever color my house was done in. But I'm married and car parts in the living room is a huge no go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts