Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a DSM T25 for a rebuild and one of the fins on the compressor as been broke off. It is just the corner and is only about .080 (measured with a micrometer). I am going to have the entire assembly balanced and it is so small I figured it would not be a problem.

Still I want some other opinions. If it will cause problems where can I get a replacement?

Thanks

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Get a new compressor wheel and rebalance the assembly. If you really want to go cheap just rebalance the wheel, probibally wont really make a huge difference but you wont make the same ammount of boost, and it will come on slower.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is hard one to find BUT I think I found better alternative that will give me some more top end with very little sacrifice at the bottom. I found a T28 from a Nissan. It is a 50 trim with a busted turbine shaft and need of a rebuild.

The T28 is mix of a T25 turbine and a T3 compressor. I do not know if the compressor Maps are the same for the two turbos (a T3 50 trim and T28 50 trim) but I do not see why they would not.

Opinions on that???

·
Registered
1990 civic 4 door LX
2,121 Posts
Do it if it can be fixed. Reguardless if the maps are the same just by identifying each turbo it sounds like they will be close enough. The t25 spools easy on a small motor. My 2.2 accord dominated that turbo and made me go evo 16g finally... the t28 will be a little slower on the spool but don't worry you will have a bunch more mid-top.

·
Registered
98 vw jetta 3
2,022 Posts
supposedly from what i was reading soemwhere i t25 and t28 are almost identical the maps are a lil bit different but nothing i would personally worry about. and the good thing is a t25/t28 uses the same rebuild kit.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been looking into the info on a T28. Basically it evolved from a T25 and it was Garrett's way of upgrading using what they had. A T28 uses the Turbine shaft (hot side) and a larger Cold side (compressor) from a T3. What happened was with the RB26DETT and SR20DET Nissan wanted more performance without sacrificing drivability. They also wanted to do it without changing the motor set-up and using what they had so Garrett basically swapped a T3 50 trim or other T3 compressor onto it. Basically it is a T3 packaged into a T25 with better spool.

So basically it should be the Garrett T3 50 trim which can make up to 300hp but I should have access to the power sooner than with a T3.

It is weird that it happened this way because I started with a T3 50 trim and decided that with my goals a T25 would be better. So I sold the T3 and bought a T25 for the spool since my goals are a modest 200 and I want it to be non lag. I however wanted the potential to make more top end and the T25 I would be limited. This works out for the best.

punkbomb138- I am also from WV. Lewisburg to be exact. Good to see someone "local" on here.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
why not just find a cheap used turbo that doesnt need a rebuild.?? theres tons out there.. just look around.

·
Registered
98 vw jetta 3
2,022 Posts
shit im about 3 hrs from u torturedsol is actually from hillsboro so he is somewhat closer but he stays in beckley now. thats basically the jist of how the t25/t28 is. i have a nissan t3 off of a 300zx mine is suposedly a .60 cold and .63 hot supposed to be a super 60 but im not really sure but mine should be good for 18 psi efficiently im hoping. and should be full spool by 5k im hoping anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts