Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
junk. how much do you know about turbos and related topics? ebay kits are are not worth the money. if this is your first turbo setup start small. t25 or t28 from a nissan are easy to find and you can get a cheap cast log mani, dsm injectors, bov, wastegate and intercooler. chip your ecu and get a tune.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not a whole lot, but have been lurking here for a while trying to absorb as much info as possible lol. going to take your advice hatchy and hit the junkyards soon as the snow thaws!

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
First thing that stops me from reading /looking more is that manifold. There so cheap. Get a cast iron and then we will talk. Ebay turbos aren't bad alots of mix feelings on them tho(some say good some say bad). But the choice is urs u can do as other say and get a oem turbo from another car or get an ebay turbo and send it off to be rebuild/balnced.

If you got cash then hit up greddy or elckblock. Or go auto works and the other people on this site. Either way with a turbo build have more money then what u think u need so if something goes wrong u can revert to stock or fit it.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
if your on a budget just got with HF/DSM turbo setup. even though you can find them cheap atleast its OEM and good quality.

·
Registered
334 Posts
the HF/DSM setup is so terrible IMHO. not worth the money.
first off why do you think the hf/dsm setup's are terrible? for a first setup they are perfect to get you used to boost.

if i was you'd i'd do a lot more research and establish your goals then go from there, you dont need to go with a dsm turbo specifically. there are tons of cars that come turbo'd from the manufacture. all you have to do is figure out where you wanna be hp wise then find a junkyard turbo that suites your needs. boost is a long road and you'll encounter a ton of people along the way the hard part is gonna be weeding out the people that are full of shit. just read alot of tech info there are tons of great sites this being one of them. just use the search function also google anything you need help understanding.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
that kit is straight trash man..... im perty sure the dp is not even for the turbo setup(maybe i just looked at it wrong)... dsm setup will get you going for cheap... like stated above..... while your doing that save up for a good one....

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
My HF/T25/DSM setup cost me less than $250.

If that's not worth it, I don't know what is.
all parts or just hot side? cuz thats a damn good price.
Also dsm turbo are kinda small but to each his own.

back to the op i would read up on turbos and make a goal as to how much hp you want. Then add in tuning price. then add the price of the turbo kit.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i'd say save your money and add more money for a better quality that you know is going to last wit something like that u dont know how long its going to last

·
Boost Gets You Laid
4,402 Posts
Really depends on his power goals. I used a Hf manifold, BMRace adapter, and a mitsu TD05H snail. Had a damn good power band. Spool at 2800rpm and held fine to red line. 8-10psi

Flow properties of the HF manifold arn't the best *shrug* The cast manifolds flow a little better but still nothing to write home about.

I'll take a little less power with quality, realiable parts vs. the kit the OP listed there. If he searches around on here he'll see the horror stories involving that manifold and the hit or miss no-name turbos.

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
Id rather go cast manifold. I believe everyone would agree with me.
There isn't THAT much of a difference. I'd rather go tubular but I'm sure not everyone agrees with that. I know for sure I wouldn't be buying anything ebay though. Theres a reason why the companies that sell them have a different name every year. They're straight junk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts