1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
first off =D I rock the Sohc.. Underdogs FTW

So i just finaly got the essential parts to turbo my 97 civic coupe D15b
i bought the kit of my friend who had a 2000 civic coupe d16y8 mi.-200k
(turbo has no play, piping no leeks, and dyno tuned at 8 psi.

so d15b & d1y8 pretty much brother/sister

Mods- D15b. Intake headers Exhaust - Obd1 p28 Non Chipped
(no fuel pump, injectors, FMU)

the car i took it off of is.....
d16y8. turbo & exhaust,
no injectors fuel pump... chipped by do it Dyno tuned obd1 p28 @ 8psi

so our cars are identical except

im .1 liter smaller..
He gave me his set up all piping the t3/t4 turbo, & the Dyno tuned p28 Ecu..

im planning on installing it this weekend if it doesnt rain in this lovely socal =\

my question is.. After installing this set up and swapping the ecu for the chipped one... Will i have to Re-dyno tune the ecu since its very similar engines...
& if i do.. is it safe to drive a couple days until i can make it to do-it-dyno??

Also on his set up i dont remember seeing a Bung for his o2 sensor when he had it on his car.. he was NOT tripping a CEL..

will i need to weld on a bung for my Primary o2??
- if so... Where is it suggested to install it??
i.e bottom of downpipe
or in the area where the civic 'ex' catalytic converter is..

ive done research and the results are different that what he had and i just want to triple check.. any help or response is greatly appreciated..
(hold off on any burns if you will)

Like my decals claim - :-D Sohc-Vtec

·
McLOVIN
800 Posts
You would have to get iit retuned even if you put it on another Y8. No motor is EXACTLY the same as any other, especially in mass produced numbers.

You will have to retune.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
you will need a retune.

yes you will be safe to drive around for a few days. but i wouldnt boost it for safety reasons.

do you have the supporting injectors, fuel pump and everything else?
do you have everything needed to tap your oil pan?
the ecu is set up not to run a O2, so no you dont need it in it aslong as its set up correctly.
are you planning on putting injectors and a larger fuel pump in your car?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i currently have no injectors, no fuel pumps they would be additions i would add down the line.. im quite impatient ive gone too long with out boost.. i want it.. i need it. need to feel it...

changing jobs so with in a month to two i would plan on getting injectors followed by a fuel pump... i have a stainless steel oil drain pan bolt which i will be getting welded tomorrow.. i wanna install the kit myself so it will save me a couple hundred.

not sure if i can install it all then tow it to the spot...i could possibly drive with out having boost kick in more than once or twice possibly..

the materials i have..

Piping,blow off, intercooler, turbo,wastegate, oil feed line, oil drain line , oil drain bolt...

the down pipe was cut mid pip on his car...
so i plan getting 3 inch piping added and welded all the way to the middle of the car.. i want to cut the pipe mid car, slap a quiet turbo muffler and ad a 90 angle to the ground...
gonna turn the car into a sleeper to prevent possible theft & police interest here in lovely California.. and last but not least Hang the stock honda Muffler on the end of my car for the lovely Stock look

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know you just wanna go out and start boostin..
But I wouldnt risk it man. Get the injectors and fuel pump before getting tunned.
Do you have gages? Boost, Oil Presure, Wideband? Those by themself (if bought new) will most likely come out to >$300.

Will the muffler fit underneath half way under the car? I would assume it would be dragging on the ground..lol

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
if you are impatient, dont boost.

if it is not done CORRECTLY, you will end up spending way more money than you would have being a little patient and doing it correctly. i would not turbo any car without bigger injectors and a bigger pump.

plus, you need a retune after you install the turbo on your car.... then you need a retune after doing the pump and injectors. thats extra money spend for another tune that isnt needed to be spend... plus if your car runs too lean then your car isnt safe to boost anyways.

do you even have a good cooling fan to keep your car cool? your engine temp will rise really fast with that extra amount of heat and pressure added to it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ill look around at fuel injectors and ill hold off on the turbo for now...=\
450cc Do fine or suggest bigger?? and What is a recommended size Fuel pump for 7-9 PSI ?
if i can pick up all that for a cool price ill be sure to..

with the muffler im not lowered and im at a stock height so it should fit hopefully

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
450cc injectors will be good for a 300hp set up, so they will be fine. if you are getting DSM injectors or any peak and hold injector (low impedance [sp]) injector you will need to add a resistor box to your set up to run the injectors properly.

get a walbro 255 intank pump. it will cost you $100 for a brand new one and those will be good for whatever you want to throw at the car up to around 5-600hp (upper 5-600 on race gas preferred) and it doesnt break the bank at all. i suggest a walbro 255 to a replacement pump even on a stock set up for its low cost.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
id rather not do the resistor box cause i Fail at eletrical work..
Recommendations for any brand injectors that are plug n play??

BTW appreciate all the help and advice fellas..

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
well, since your car is OBD2, you will have to rewire your injector clips to OBD1 for injectors to work... but thats easy.

there are plenty of RC, Precision, Injector Dynamics, Fuel injector clinic injectors out there that are "plug and play", but you have to have OBD1 clips. but you might get lucky and find some OBD2-OBD1 injector clip conversion clips... but iv mainly seen obd2- bosch style clip conversion clips

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sounds complicated =[
so if thats the case..
i guess i can buy the injectors & Fuel pump and get them installed maybe a couple gages get a package going on followed by the turbo n tune

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
injector wiring is easy really. but you cant just install bigger injectors and drive the car either. get it all done at once, then have it towed to the tuner

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well ... it sucks.. but i can say honestly that you guys have most likely saved my engine from an early death.. greatly appreciated fellas and will follow your tips..will post when i get what i truly need.. thanks again and have a safe night

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
i say to be patient because i have rushed a turbo set up before and it ended up with cross threaded feed lines, loose clamps and leaky injectors. i dont want anyone rushing through something to get it done and end up spending the more time in the long run doing something.

good fine 93DSolS!

·
Registered
723 Posts
:thinking: hmmm do it dyno? why do it dyno ... bubba doesnt know whats hes doing when it comes to single cams :dots:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah i just did my smog a month ago so im good for 2 years.. im obd1 and already failing the test but i found a spot to forge it...

do-it-dyno was where the original owner tuned the ECU
So only one i could think of

the only other spot i know is off craigslist called golds autos

they do street tuning up in rialto.. they did a good job with my engine swap and have turbo kits installs and tuning for sale...

any other ideas on a good spot for tuning in Socal?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts