Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have an 95 civic ex and is an automatic. i'm in the process of wanting to fix it up, and i was wondering is it would be safe to run a turbo kit on it? more then likely it will be the greddy kit. also what else could i get as for as parts go (ex. what compresion pistons, cams etc).thanx in advance

O

·
0 Posts
you will destroy your auto trany in about 3-6 months. honda autos are not capable of holding the power. There are some aftermarket guys that make tranies but they have been proven to fail after about 350 wheel power. Thos tranies are about 4g as well not including the torque converter which is another $600

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Ill make it simple

NOt a good idea!! unless you have money to burn!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hmmmm,I'll throw this one out there,I have now been runnig,dual point,auto,d15b/y7,ihi vf34 turbo for almost 2 years and no slip from the tranny at all and it has 220k mi,had an all motor 1.5 mini me that put down 152.3 hp at the wheels,so i say the tranny is capable jus depending on how u drive it daily.Mine is a daily driver and sees 300 mile trips everyother weekend and the track often.

I

·
0 Posts
^ very sweet

i've heard differing opinions about how much power the automatics can take. I have the EX tranny in my EF 4-door (which is really an Si tranny, but automatic), and i've been told it'd hold a decent amount of power to the wheels. I think the main reason for automatic transmissions failing when people install turbos or sc's is that they want to feel the power and get those tires to spin by redlining in neutral and dropping it...

however, i don't think it can take much more than 150 hp, depending on your setup. I plan on adding boost to my auto d16a6 after i drop in a replacement d16a6 with lower mileage

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
if you want any kind of real power, you would be best to switch to a manual transmission. you could run very low boost on it, but there's not garuntee to how long it would last you

·
Registered
287 Posts
auto trannies are the best for drag racing! idk about honda trannies being able to hold up to the power that a highly modded engine will put out tho...
but as for auto trannies in general.. like, crxdxr said, they're awesome.. if you get a good computer setup you can set shift points and all sorts of other cool stuff... plus, they hold boost while shifting whoooo

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
auto trannys can andle it.. it also depends on how you drive.. if you drive it like you stole it then yeah its gonna brake.. i had a t25 @8 psi on my y7 automatic and it runs fine with no slips..before the turbo i had a 75 shot on my car.. so the auto tranny can handle the power.. change the fluid often with honda atf only..

just remember it sucks up about 25% of your power .. if you want to be alot faster your gonna have to switch to a 5 speed which is in my plans..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanx everyone for the advice i really apreciate it. as for as swapping out the tranny goes i really don't want to because i did it to my 3000gt and it was a bitch. i plan not to rag on it to hard just every now and then, because currentally it has a baby seat in the back. i just need something that goes fast when it needs to.as far as sucking sucking up 25% of the power then about how much HP should i have now. it has a 5zigen exhaust and a crappy intake.

O

·
0 Posts
konigcivic said:
auto trannys can andle it.. it also depends on how you drive.. if you drive it like you stole it then yeah its gonna brake.. i had a t25 @8 psi on my y7 automatic and it runs fine with no slips..before the turbo i had a 75 shot on my car.. so the auto tranny can handle the power.. change the fluid often with honda atf only..

just remember it sucks up about 25% of your power .. if you want to be alot faster your gonna have to switch to a 5 speed which is in my plans..
your 1 out of 1000 guy so don;t think your personal 1 expirences means all the rest are ok. I helped a kid once with his project. he spend 6k in auto tranies trying to get something to hold and never was able to get it done. We ended up swapping in a 5speed and no more problems (except he could drive a clutch and when through stage-3 CM setups every 3 months).

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
my opinion, either basic bolt ons with the auto or go turbo and drop in a manual, it's better to be safer than sorry.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
oscarmayer said:
your 1 out of 1000 guy so don;t think your personal 1 expirences means all the rest are ok. I helped a kid once with his project. he spend 6k in auto tranies trying to get something to hold and never was able to get it done. We ended up swapping in a 5speed and no more problems (except he could drive a clutch and when through stage-3 CM setups every 3 months).
take care of the tranny and it will take care of you...

you do burnouts, rev it and drop it into drive, and other stuff that makes for a harsh shift and it will fuck up.. if you drive it smart it will last... frequent tranny oil changes with honda atf will help it last..

its not 1 out of a 1000, couple of my friends have automatic civics and integras holding nitrous and the other has a turbo kit... just cause your friend has no respect for the trans and drives it like an asshole does not mean all of them will fail!

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
^^i'm with you kommon. it is possible, and it's not something that is completely unheard of. it's just most people like manual because there's more space to upgrade and make more power.

I

·
0 Posts
^ same, if we had a triptronic (or tiptronic however u spell it) automatic tranny that'd just own. I think those automatics are probably way stronger and designed to handle high hp

·
Banned
752 Posts
I think a good analogy would be that the import community still thinks that automatic transmissions aren't good to use in a performance applications, much like they believe the little old d-series can't be used for performance either.

For drag racing, a well built automatic tranny gives you the option to leave the line at full boost, shift consistantly, and maintain full boost without ever lifting the throttle. But like everything, it costs money to work, and I only know of one company who is doing anything with the Honda/Acura transmissions. http://www.ipttrans.com/hondaauto.shtml There might be one other company, but I can't recall the name.

Now would I want a high stalling automatic drag tranny setup for my project? No, I want something a bit more street friendly.

·
Neighborhood Asshole is Back!
02 BMW; 00 Civic EX
1,892 Posts
^^^ its not that automatics are bad for it that they are getting at.... its more the individual automatic. A supra automatic can withstand a ton of horsepower... but thats not what we have in our d series civics. I myself am probably in the near furture am going to be swapping out my auto to get ready for boost.

I

·
0 Posts
its definitely possible. There are some problems you will run into:
1) Engine management on an auto is hard because there is a seperate ecu that manages the tranny. only choices you may have is too pay a butt load to have it reprogramed, get a vafc2 (which will advance your timing), or go with setup like greddy emanage.
2) you cant use an aftermarket intake manifold cause there is a sensor in it that is placed the stock im that is placed in the throttle body of manuals.
3) definitely look into beefing up the tranny. and oil cooler and level ten torque converter would really help out. check out the site above or www.levelten.com.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
well IM glad this came up, I also have an auto in my 96 ex and it has about 90xxx on it and I have a high stall converter in my hands as we speak, along with that I plan on boosting but heres the thing I am only gonna go 6-7 psi tops!! I aint gonna ruin my tranny, if I plan on boosting more than 8psi, Ill wait and get a stick in the long run..... but as for now thats what I plan on doing... any complaints with this????

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
not at all. as long as you don't beat the crap out of that tranny (like kommon has been saying) you'll be fine. good luck with the build and let us know how it goes!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts