Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am new to the Honda tuning world and am planning on buying a turbo kit for a steal from my friend from my 1999 Acura el 1.6/Honda civic ex 4dr (it’s the same car), but unfortunately it’s an auto. So I’m not sure what I need to buy since I have a stock ecu and it’s an auto so I don’t have much to work with. Any tips would be great if hondata or NepTune or Crome has anything and what is best for my situation?

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
806 Posts
Either swap to manual trans first, then convert to obd1, then turbo and tune (my recommendation), or run a stand alone ecu piggy backed with the stock ecu still controlling the trans. lots of options for stand alone ecus, but unless you are experienced with electronics and wiring its pricey to have someone do it for you.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
piggy back is the only easy way.

Be aware, those transmissions need a cooler installed with any amount of extra power.

Best bet is to keep the power below 180whp. Make sure the trans is healthy by doing a disassembly and checking the internal filter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Buy turbo kit
Sell/trade turbo kit for a profit to pay for 5 speed swap
Enjoy

While turbo auto is possible (I did supercharger on a celica gts auto), it's just not that fun to drive. You would have more fun with a 5 spd vtec than auto turbo IMHO.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Ive driven a turbo 1.5 d15b2 auto crx.

it was hilariously fun.

A properly sized turbo makes all the difference in the world.

Super fun, easily lit the tires up, yet managed to get slightly better fuel economy on the highway, though city stop and go economy dropped likea piece of lead.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Yes, the best cooler is one that is cleaned prior to being used, and free of leaks.

The $30 coolers from autozone are prone to having junk inside, simple rinse with vinegar and distilled water fixes that. Final rinse with just water.

Reactions: GrandpaEJ8
1 - 7 of 7 Posts