Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a turbo kit for my y8 off of a buddy his water pump went out and the turbo is now done for... I was wondering if i should get my garrett 50 trim rebuilt or buy another turbo... I was looking at god speed turbos for around 200 bucks would this be cheaper than getting a rebuild?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just by saying 50 trim no one is going to know what you are talking about. If you are running a t3t4 50 trim then I don't know how a water pump going out would damage that turbo. Those turbos only use oil as cooling, not water/oil like GT series turbos.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
cheaper, yes... more reliable, no.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a t3t4 i thought it was water cooled but maybe im wrong the kit came from turbo specialties and has lines that i am supposed to tap into my heater core lines to cool the turbo

·
Registered
487 Posts
Unless it's bearings were switch out for the dual ball bearings.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not sure im new to turbos and this is my first turbo setup i have everything on all i need is a turbo... I guess my question is... should i buy a godspeed turbo... are they any good and are they reliable or should i pay to get the garrett rebuild

·
Registered
487 Posts
I rather get a Garrett rebuild then ebay turbo. That's just me though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay well what do you think a fair price would be to get a garrett t3t4 rebuilt just a ball park number??

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
depends on where you send it. a place here in texas called Forced Performance is roughly $410 for a full rebuild, but other places are more expensive.

·
Registered
487 Posts
You might as well just buy a new turbo for a few more hundred bucks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the sheet you have to fill out to send your turbo to forced performance it says they only service forced performance turbos not turbos from other companies... What do they mean?

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
i back gpopshop 100% for a turbo rebuild, give them a call and ask!

G-Pop Shop

edit: or buy a rebuild kit and do it yourself

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
last i knew, forced performance will rebuild garrett turbos aswell. iv taken a garrett turbo to them and they said no problem.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Are you sure your turbo is gone? Not sure if I fully understood your first post, but if you are assuming that the turbo went because the waterpump broke, it is very unlikely. Lots of people run those turbo's without the lines hooked up for years. Good idea? No, but it seems to work for a long while.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is a ton of shaft play like there isnt even bearings in the turbo lol not sure what happened to it but there is alot of side to side and in and out shaft play.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts