Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill try to keep this short and simple.
Im trying to build a turbo inlet tube so i can add a filter to my setup.
Space is tight so i ended coming up with this.

The flange opening is 2inch, but the tube fins opening is about 1.24inch.
The pipe is 2inch and is cut at a 45* angle.
As you can see in the pictures it is off set from the flange.

The plan is to weld it up as it sits and then add some sheet metal to fill the gaps.

Question : Will this effect the turbo in any way shape or form?
Im tying to find this out before i weld it all up and find out it wont work.

The tube will flare out to a 2.5 90* with a filter on it.

Thanx for looking and thanx for any help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
IMHO i dont think it'll matter much. i guess generally the majority of people would say anything with flow should be smooth and such but i'd rather have a filter on my setup which protects the turbo from any large debris from coming into contact with it.

im sure there's a better way to do it but if thats what you got right now, i say go for it. more harm in not doing it.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMHO i dont think it'll matter much. i guess generally the majority of people would say anything with flow should be smooth and such but i'd rather have a filter on my setup which protects the turbo from any large debris from coming into contact with it.

im sure there's a better way to do it but if thats what you got right now, i say go for it. more harm in not doing it.
That was my thoughts on it. And thats the best I can do, the clutch slave and trans housing is in the way.

It seems like it would work since its not like i blocked the complete hole.
Ill probably just weld it up and use it anyway.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Have you thought about using a rectangular duct with a nipple on the end of it? i dont think i can present a picture... but lets say 3inches wide by 1 inch tall with a 2.5 inch nipple coming off the side of it welded? ive seen that done before and i know that it will flow enough air.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That was my thoughts on it. And thats the best I can do, the clutch slave and trans housing is in the way.

It seems like it would work since its not like i blocked the complete hole.
Ill probably just weld it up and use it anyway.
i figured you have the same problem as i do. you got the turbo inlet facing the trans side and downpipe exiting the a/c side right? right now i have a wire screen on it(fail i know) but im in the process of putting a filter on it also. just have the problem of it not being up against the upper radiator hose.

post your finished product.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i figured you have the same problem as i do. you got the turbo inlet facing the trans side and downpipe exiting the a/c side right? right now i have a wire screen on it(fail i know) but im in the process of putting a filter on it also. just have the problem of it not being up against the upper radiator hose.

post your finished product.
You can put panty hose over the wire screen with some K&N filter oil for added protection. Something is better than nothing. Turbo ingestion is bad.

·
Registered
138 Posts
you should be fine just clean up your welds.. at worst you turn up the boost a little to overcome the less flow

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will up load other pix later today when im on my laptop.
But yes its on the transmission side, im keeping ac.
The weld will be cleaned up that was just some tacts to hold it n place.
Also looked over the pictures i took and it looks like i have more space @ the bottom to flare it out. I"ll probably weld it up today if i get time.

Then i plan on getting a 3inch mushroom filter or use the high flow i got now if there is space.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Semi finish work. Did end up kinda cupping the metal so it will flow a lil bit better. My dermal bit ran down so got to get some more. Then ill grind it smoother and probably paint it silver or black. Looks nice imo but dont care about the looks it just needs to work and support around 200hp :D

more pix in my build thread. Heres fast link to last page.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BUMP

Didnt feel like making a new thread so bumped this one.

Does it matter which way the filter goes?

Up

OR

Down

Clears hood both ways. Just want to know if it matters or effects anything.
I do see that if its down it will get air that flows though the rad. but also more prone to water getting on the filter from splashes in the rain.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Up. You need to keep it out of the water. PERIOD. Don't take any chances, unless you just have a BA engine on a stand waiting for this one to hydro lock.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Up. You need to keep it out of the water. PERIOD. Don't take any chances, unless you just have a BA engine on a stand waiting for this one to hydro lock.
Hydrolock the motor up through the turbo and all the charge piping?

Is that even possible? I would think the turbo inlet would need to be 100% completely submerged, and even then its a tough one to picture happening.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hydrolock the motor up through the turbo and all the charge piping?

Is that even possible? I would think the turbo inlet would need to be 100% completely submerged, and even then its a tough one to picture happening.
It can happen, happened to my d17 in the civic. It wasn't submerged either, when I pulled the intercooler off it had like a liter of water in it. Engine hydro locked and broke a rod then the rod proceeded to take out everything in its path , hole on both sides of the block and sliced through the crankshaft cradle.

·
Registered
852 Posts

Cost me $49.25 altogether from Advance Auto.

Buy these online, search for part numbers:
K&N RE-0930
(2x) Spectre 45* 3" elbow (part number 8738 )
Spectre 3" coupler (part number 8771)

Use coupon BIG30 in cart for $30 off $75

Pickup in store, total is $46.46 before tax :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I copy/pasted that post from a previous thread, you can get different bends/things to accommodate your setup. P20 is another code you can use for 20% off - just can't stack two coupons though.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I copy/pasted that post from a previous thread, you can get different bends/things to accommodate your setup. P20 is another code you can use for 20% off - just can't stack two coupons though.
Yea read that thread. That part wont fit.in my space or for my angle. Ill just mount it up away from water,mudd abd dirty.
Will also look into modding the mushroom so it doesnt get sucked up n the long run.

Ill start to make a nipple for the catch can tonight.

I may mod it later on down the.road but.i.think this will work for the time.being.

Replyed via cell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts