Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just finished putting together my turbo d16y7 (450cc njectors, p28, walbro 255, etc...) and it starts up just fine, but theres a MASSIVE exhaust leak from what appears to be the hot side of the turbo, maybe from the cast manifold, or both. does anyone have a solution for this? all the bolts were tightened and I didnt forget any gaskets.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,944 Posts
post a pic of where you think its leaking from

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,944 Posts
some things Im reading say theyre meant to leak a little, others say that the flange area is wore down enough not to seal. you could take the hot side off and check for a seal, if none then you could throw some (NOT ALOT) exhaust gasket maker on the flange

is the bearing heat shield installed in the turbo? for some reason, Im thinking that sits tight against the hot side to "seal"......but I may be wrong, I have been awake for 22hrs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
some things Im reading say theyre meant to leak a little, others say that the flange area is wore down enough not to seal. you could take the hot side off and check for a seal, if none then you could throw some (NOT ALOT) exhaust gasket maker on the flange

is the bearing heat shield installed in the turbo? for some reason, Im thinking that sits tight against the hot side to "seal"......but I may be wrong, I have been awake for 22hrs
Well the turbo is exactly how It was brand new except that I clocked it by loosening the bolts in the picture, but they were definitely tightened back. Ill try reinstalling it without any silicone and maybe resurface the flange.

·
Registered
975 Posts
^ I thought this also.
Did it have an anti rotation pin? If so did you remove it first if not it could be trapped in between the two parts causing the leak.

I would take it off check everything then make sure it seats flush before reinstalling it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just a thought.

The tapped holes in the housing are blind, aren't they? Is it possible that the screws are bottoming out? You might try tightening it up again but with spring washers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
maybe when you clocked it ,it did not seat properly when tight.
^ I thought this also.
Did it have an anti rotation pin? If so did you remove it first if not it could be trapped in between the two parts causing the leak.

I would take it off check everything then make sure it seats flush before reinstalling it.
Just a thought.

The tapped holes in the housing are blind, aren't they? Is it possible that the screws are bottoming out? You might try tightening it up again but with spring washers.
I took it apart and it all seats just find and creates a really nice seal, no pins or anything. Another thing i'm considering is maybe it's coming from under the exhaust manifold and the air is just coming out that area since its [retty tight in there.

·
Registered
821 Posts
just look for the source there will bee a soot track or spray .
if the leak is bad enough you should be able to see hear feel it ...

tightening method used on flanges?

take every thing apart and look for soot tracks on surfaces if you can't pinpoint..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just look for the source there will bee a soot track or spray .
if the leak is bad enough you should be able to see hear feel it ...

tightening method used on flanges?

take every thing apart and look for soot tracks on surfaces if you can't pinpoint..
I took it apart, and theres nothing but when its running i can feel a lot of air coming out. Im gonna let it run a bit more to see if anything builds up because last time there was absolutely nothing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts