Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
wtf? read above
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a d16a6 being rebuilt right now, and im planning on boosting. should i go mini-me turbo? or just p&p my head now?

this is what i think, but remember im still a d series n00b.

mini me turbo
higher base hp
should flow more air

stock head
port and polish can make up for the vtec, air flow difference
head and block are more compatible than mini me.
can find same aftermarket parts (cams not as aggressive)

remember this is just....my opinions, if you will. do i have it right? am i off or wrong completely on anything? what? my main question is:

which head would be the best?!

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
based on what your showing us i'd vote for the a6 head.. reason being is

z6 head - higher base HP yes, but also a higher compression ratio which leaves less room for error on tuning. also, for VTEC you have to be able to tune the high and low cam maps; so if you're a beginner in tuning (considering you're tuning yourself) it might be a good idea to stay non vtec anyways...

a6 head - port & polished, so its going to flow MORE than the z6 head unless its a crappy port job. also, think of this, most of the street cars run vtec. but most of the all out race hondas use nonvtecs

also, if this is a first time boosting i'd probably recommend not dwindling too deep into the motor. you dont need to build it to boost it

·
Registered
wtf? read above
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blue99CivicSi from TampaRacing.com will be doing my tunning. hes well known and knows his shit. i want to build my motor before i boost it, so itll be strong and a bit more reliable.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
oh i was gonna say if u go mini me, u have to deal with gettin a p28, jumper harness, correct 02 sensor, all that jazz, but if u gots the money go for it

·
Registered
258 Posts
We are working on this exact same setup right now. A6/Y8/MIniMe, oh and we're doing Vitara pistons too. We plan on using TurboEdit to tune with, no need for a P28, Conversion Harnes, etc. TurboEdit has the one wire VTEC option for kicking in the mAD Vtak yo.

If you have a professional tuner, then go all the way that your wallet will allow. Otherwise, if doing it yourself, take small steps to learn the way.

Craig

·
Registered
406 Posts
^^^ damn right, use a y8 head you can just stay obd0 and reuse your current distributor, plus if you use vitaras and tuner toys rods you will have a cr of something around 8.5 and if you fill the block you can run some pretty good boost. i am doing this build also , get the head back from the machine shop on fri and should be done with the motor by the end of march.

·
Registered
wtf? read above
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am building my motor strong so itll give me time to do this. im really stressing.....vtec or not. money is not an option. id rather spend a lot and have it take forever to do it right. i am making a pros and cons list, so keep them comming. this car will be my daily fore a few years. so i want to throw that in there.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
if you're making a turbo monster, go with the head that has the camshaft you want to use. If you have a monster turbo, having a vtec cam might make a little more power down low since that is what the low cam profile is designed to do...

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Keep it All A6, no need for Mini me w/ turbo "more tuning" You will get just as much hp on good tune!

·
Registered
wtf? read above
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
berettagtz117 said:
Keep it All A6, no need for Mini me w/ turbo "more tuning" You will get just as much hp on good tune!

so keep the a6 huh? i like that idea. but if i decide later on after im turbo, i can just swap the head and have the turbo stuff "match" up? i know ill need an ecu, but
Blue99CivicSi sells them chipped and ready for wtf ever. i want to get the most out of the kit as possible. like ive stated before, my goal is 200whp. then the next goal will get 250 then 300, then 350, etc.....baby steps young grasshoppa.

·
Registered
wtf? read above
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pork said:
well shit man , if money isnt an option i dont know what your gonna do.. will work for turbo?? haha just messin around man . good luck with your build. :)
lol, im tired, leave me alone. good point though i meant "money is not a problem". its the time factor i fucking hate!!! i hate when shit comes up, like getting into a fight, somehow a kidney gets hit, you pee blood for a week and the insurance decides "lets have this fucker pay for it" and then your out lik $400 and your mechanic is waiting for the other half to get your shit done and out of the way......sorry about that. end of rant. lol

·
Registered
293 Posts
88ED3 said:
lol, im tired, leave me alone. good point though i meant "money is not a problem". its the time factor i fucking hate!!! i hate when shit comes up, like getting into a fight, somehow a kidney gets hit, you pee blood for a week and the insurance decides "lets have this fucker pay for it" and then your out lik $400 and your mechanic is waiting for the other half to get your shit done and out of the way......sorry about that. end of rant. lol
it was just funny to me because just last week i went with my friend to a body shop to get a quote for his del sol and he told the guy the same thing , "money isnt an option".. haha after we left i made fun of him for it and he still thought he said it right .. haha
anyway, sorry for cluttering your post man.

·
Registered
wtf? read above
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its straight. i work 9-10 hours at a warehouse, come home and get on here. my grammer and spelling is shit by then.

·
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme
3,203 Posts
To tell the truth it is up to you... VTEC adds a little torque/HP (depending on the turbo/setup) but there is more stuff to worry about (tuning VTEC, area before VTEC, X-over, etc.). But then you have a better powerband (again, depending on your setup).

Just be warned, it might take 2x as long to tune it with VTEC. That means 2x the dyno time and 2x the money used to tune.

·
Registered
wtf? read above
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
its official, im staying non-vtec for now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts