Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1991 civic hatch
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I know, another of "these" threads asking about what turbo is "best" to run on on a daily driver. I hated to ask it but I've been searching for hours and days and haven't come up with even a decent answer and i'm starting to pull my hair out.

Please dont be to harsh.

engine specs:
a6 block
y8 2 layer hg
z6 head
FJ H-beam/Vitara combo
580cc precision injectors
p28 ecu (not sure on what to tune with yet)

looking to run right around 300whp.

Was looking as t25's t28's mitsu's and a few t3/t4's but don't know good and bad's on any so looking for some honest recommendations, its gonna be in my DD/rally cross car.

thanks for any HELPFUL input :p

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
run the "smallest" common sized turbo to meet your goal, with in its efficiency range.

usually 14 psi (bar) is about as much as you would really want on the street.

side note: more then 200-240 whp on the street is a lot more then your going to use at most points during a commute or weekend madness. just something to remember..

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
i know that 300 is a bit much for dd, wanted it more really to get the tires loose-er on the dirt tracks.
umm.. well 200-250 whp (depends on tq curve really) will break them loose on pavement, so i am pretty sure it will do the same on dirt (just better) ;)

or did dirt all of a sudden gain traction properties over night? :lol:

i tease, i tease....

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
on my project, i picked up a gt28r kit... short time later wished i had chosen something in the t3/t4 family... realized its quite expensive to replace/upgrade this turbo

·
Registered
^
3,347 Posts
run the "smallest" common sized turbo to meet your goal, with in its efficiency range.

usually 14 psi (bar) is about as much as you would really want on the street.

side note: more then 200-240 whp on the street is a lot more then your going to use at most points during a commute or weekend madness. just something to remember..
Very very true!!

With my setup I dont run more than 1bar on the streets or I break traction 1-3rd gear.

Yeah its good to have a goal (like ur 300whp) but you wont need to run 300whp all day on a DD. Unless youre street racing... but even then most cars on the road make less than 220whp on the streets (unless built)

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
lol, i hear rally car and i think right around 300 hp, not completely un reasonable and i wont jump to it right away, but a turbo which will work now (200 or so whp), and later (300whp).
super 60 t3 to start. wont make 300 whp, but it will rip your pants off for 250. will def break loose the tires on dirt. plus if you need to upgrade, you can just mod the compressor side for the t3/t4 set-ups.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
not really. just cause its 4wd doesnt mean its anything like a real 4wd system or even a newer all wheel drive system. yes, all 4 wheels are engaged at one time. however, its still a fwd based system. iirc, its like 80 nose and 15 in the tail, 5 lost in the driver train going back. could be wrong on the numbers, but they give you the idea.

btw: i dont think i have seen a 300 whp 4wd set-up using d-series running gear. :thinking:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'd vote for gt2860rs or 14b/16g.

with gt28rs .64 I see 10psi at 3400rpm with a muffler. But it also starts making boost well under 2000rpm so its awesome daily driving.

If i didn't get this turbo for free I'd be running a mitsubishi turbo for cheap. I ran a 14b on my old d16a6 and it worked good too.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Having a smaller turbo with quick spool is more practical for DD. I had a T3T4 50 Trim and a Greddy 15G setup. And I had a lot more fun with the 15G at 15PSI then I did with my 50 Trim at 10PSI. The 15G hit full boost quick and the 50 Trim took a while to spool and by the time I was at full boost probably was like 4K-4.5K rpms. But it's been so long I don't quite remember how long it took to hit full boost. Overall, it's all about preference.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
too small a turbo will also have a huge negative side effect for DD cars...

lack of flow during out of boost driving (gas mileage) and in ability to modulate pressure transition.

both can really kill a persons taste for turbos.

·
Registered
610 Posts
On low traction surface the rt4wd system isnt as bad as everyone wants it to be. The only thing the center diff is doing is slipping when the torque between the front and rear wheels gets too high, like when you are doing a tight turn. If the diff is healthy and still has the correct level of oil in it, it is actually pretty strong. Of course you wont have the advenced stuff that sends torque to the corner you need it, or yaw control and whatnot, but its not bad. On snow and ice it feels pretty much like 50/50, and once you get rid of the factory understeer you can go sideways day in day out with it. I havent tested mine on gravel or dirt track yet, but I would think it works pretty good. It spins both front and rear tires when launching on gravel.

Gt28rs or a big 16g would probably make it to 300, and still have a lot of grunt down low. The H-beams wont help you, though. That is low compression. Have you considered milling the head and/or block?

·
Registered
1991 civic hatch
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
That's what i'm looking for is whats going to be a good balance, the lower faster spooling turbo will be nice for quick acceleration but i dont want to be completely lost in the top end.

Some oversteer on loose surface would be sweet.

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
too small a turbo will also have a huge negative side effect for DD cars...

lack of flow during out of boost driving (gas mileage) and in ability to modulate pressure transition.

both can really kill a persons taste for turbos.
neither of those are an issue for my setup.

.42/.48 t3 on a stock block d15b. running 10psi now. full exhaust, no cat. hondata s300. really nice power on the street. can imagine 15psi would be great, but I don't really wanna put my beat old stock block through that right now.

-30mpg city (this includes raping the piss out of her sometimes, usually at least once per day). 38mpg highway trips. Obviously not the best for a d-series honda, but I'm sure if you had a lighter foot than me you could do better, and it's certainly not BAd gas mileage by any means.

-vacuum to boost transition is seamless and quite easily controlled. let's say I'm in third and I want to give it 2psi, or 5psi, or keep it at atm(0psi), or in vacuum at a particular level. not a problem at all.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
in ten more posts without post whoreing buy mine :)

t28 off a pulsar gti-r from japan.....came off of a fwd sr20det.....biggest turbo that came factory on a sr20....larger than a gt2860r smaller than a disco potato only spools 200 or so rms latter and has a much better top end.....perfect for what you want :).... i also have the d-series mani and dp for it....oh and i have 550ccinjectors that will be for sale in the next couple days

1 - 20 of 23 Posts