Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my turbo just failed. I got a ton of shaft play and then on the way home a seal must have gone because I was getting huge amounts of smoke. I can't decide if my oil feed wasn't giving enough oil or if my oil drain couldn't drain fast enough. Can I have some help diagnosing this so I don't break another turbo? (My oil feed tees off of my oil pressure sensor)(it's a d16z6 with a gt17 turbo)(my oil return might be a bit restricting but I'm not sure how to test it)

·
Registered
680 Posts
A restricting drain will usually just blow the seals out.

You might wear bearings faster if you don't have enough oil feed.

Bearings also wear way faster if the turbo isn't properly balanced.

Take the turbo out and see what the problem is first.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Details:

Restricted or no?
Turbo model and brand?
Size of line?
Length of line?
Fitting size?

Pics of drain line please from turbo to pan.

These details will help diagnose.

Any shaft play over .5mm will kill seals as an fyi.

·
Registered
789 Posts
3/8 is huge most people run a -4 line which should be about 1/4". I don't think too big of a line would be a problem but I thought all dual ball bearing turbos need a restrictor?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Don't think those are ball bearing. 3/8 feed is too big, and you return is probably too small since you didn't mention it's size. As for the turbo itself, what pressure are you running at? Probably either spinning the crap out of it, or just coked up from poor cool downs, crap oil.

Let us know with pics when you pull apart.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My vote is the feed line was supplying to much oil to the turbo.. or the turbo was gummed up from burnt Oil from not letting it cool down as said above..

Think about it like this..

you have much higher oil pressures than (Garrett/precision/whatever brand journal bearing turbo) wants you to have going through the turbo.

This pretty much goes for almost all journal bearing turbos.

Ball bearing turbos can't have anywhere near the oil pressure (40-45psi) of a Journal bearing type otherwise a turbo rebuild is in the near future..

If i where you i would disconnect the return line.

Start the engine and make sure oil is coming out of the return.

Just to make sure there is not a clog in the system.

If the oil is flowing well throw a restrictor on the feed line and have the turbo rebuilt or buy a new one, seeing you turbo sounds like its doneski's

Hope this helps.. gl

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much guys you're all a huge help! And my oil return has a connector that is probably restricting a bit of flow as well. I'll post pics later :) thanks for not being jerks about it either I appreciate it

·
Registered
265 Posts
That's why I only come on here. Too many trash talkers anywhere else, people forget we all had to learn somewhere along the way. Luckily for the younger guys, they get to learn what most older guys learned the hard way.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
GT17's just seem to go faster than other turbos, I think it's because they have a very narrow CHRA & are always spinning at such high speeds. They are put on motors that are much too large for them, IMO. If the fins haven't contacted the housings, you can possibly rebuild it since most gt17's appear to be journal bearing.

The largest you want for a journal bearing is usually -3AN, or 3/16" line. Personally I still recommend a restrictor of ~0.0625", but that tiny turbo may need more or less due to the unusual one-piece journal bearing.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I agree with hiprofile.

Smaller turbos are spinning faster pretty much all the time, and when you aren't in boost, there's virtually no compressor side wheel load, and the bearings/seals take a hit.

Now, personally, I havent killed any turbos yet, just killed ones that were bad when I first put them on.

Too much oil.

Stick with -3an feed, or a ball bearing turbo and no need for restriction. Anything bigger, add a restrictor at rhe turbo feed inlet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts