Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
EG6
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i was thinking of just doing a 3" open down pipe, but i was wondering how loud it would be. or if i should just buy a 3" exhaust system. i would rather save some money by doing the open down pipe but i don't want it to be too loud.

by the way here is the setup:

F22B1 (stock internals)
Y8 tranny w/ lightweight flywheel
RPS clutch
T3/T4 .60/.48 turbo (internal waste gate)
Tredstone Cast-Iron manifold
Thunderbird intercooler
custom 3" downpipe
770cc injectors
Chrome tuned running 15psi

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
won't be too loud, but it would be too loud for me for dd duty. I have a full 3" for mine, but I went ahead and got a 3" cut out to dump it at the track.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
im planning on running open downpipe. but im looking for 3002hp and i need everything i can get to get me to that goal.

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
umm i imagine a 2.2 liter would be louder than a 1.5 or 1.6 running an open dp... a month before i got my cat back, i cut my muffler off (back in highschool when it was cool to have a loud rice burner) and it was loud as fuck... no sneaking in late at night... and keep in mind that i still had the cat and the stock resonator... therefore it would have been louder without these... but then again, a turbo muffles exhaust significantly

·
Premium Member
93 cx hatch
16,375 Posts
anybody got any sound clips of when they are using their cutout.. or just runnin an open dp? im lookin at runnin an open dp too.. and it would help the both of us!

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
anybody got any sound clips of when they are using their cutout.. or just runnin an open dp? im lookin at runnin an open dp too.. and it would help the both of us!
yeah id like to hear a cound clip as well

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts

thats all i got. this was when we first installed my buddies turbo on his gsr. to find that the seals in the turbo were fried, and that he should have listened to me and bought a new oil pan gasket.

it wasnt all that loud. definatly quieter than my car is now. but it sounded crazy in boost.

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
i feel sorry for your neighbors

·
Registered
183 Posts
Open D/P will be a lot louder than with an exhaust. I personally, would much rather have a full exhaust, and decrease the risk of getting fucked with by police.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
depends what your definition of loud is...

an open DP is quieter than a n/a civic with N1 style muffler and a test pipe by a long shot

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
i never got pulled over with my muffler cut and it was hellaz loud. but then again it was like that for only a month... if u end up doing it, post a vid so we can see how loud it is

·
Registered
91 hatch
1,249 Posts
yeah x3 im planning on running that temporarily i want to flange all of my exhaust components for easy removal ,and installation plus for my testpipe, but if it's really loud ill think twice,about it

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
i had my 3" open downpipe for about a day cause something came up and i didnt have time to install my exhaust that night. i didnt like it, i thought it sounded like shit. If it were just to head to the track or the dyno i would be fine with it, but its not for daily driving. It caused way to many people to look at me and my car for all the turbo spooling sounds and just how loud it was.

·
Registered
EG6
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks guys for the info... i was woundering if it would be louder than my N1 with n/a right now is... i also was thinking it might suck to huff all the exhaust every day....

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
put the stock muffler back on... nothing like pulling up next to some idiot who loves proving that most civics are slow... and then seeing his face when you pull multiple car length on his ass through second gear... SLEEPER!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts