Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flange size question. All I can seem to find is 2.5" dp to 3" exhaust questions.
I'm piecing together my turbo kit. My question is, how to make this 3" down pipe work for my t3. The flange on the t3 is 2.5". Is there something I can buy to make it work or do I just need to replace that 5 bolt flange with one that has a 3" opening?

Attachments

·
D-series SoCal Division
93' dx hatchback
659 Posts
If the turbine wheel is 2.5", I wouldn't worry too much about a 3" down pipe.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Flange size question. All I can seem to find is 2.5" dp to 3" exhaust questions.
I'm piecing together my turbo kit. My question is, how to make this 3" down pipe work for my t3. The flange on the t3 is 2.5". Is there something I can buy to make it work or do I just need to replace that 5 bolt flange with one that has a 3" opening?
assuming you dont have a way to weld the downpipe these would be your best options.

this one if you want to delete the internal wastegate and add an external one.
T3 T3/T4 5 Bolt Turbo Downpipe Flange Adapter Conversion Kit to 2.5" V-Band 64mm | eBay

this one if you want to keep it internally wastegated.
Rev9 CAST 2.5" to 3" V BAND TURBO FLANGE ADAPTER CONVERSION

this one might fit as well if you want to keep the internal wastegate, not sure.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GT25-GT28-T...ash=item3ad31ed69d:g:fIkAAOSw4GVYNk8a&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This being my first ever turbo build, I don't really know which would be best. Internal or external? This t3 doesn't quite have all the parts to keep it internally wastegated does it? It doesn't quite look like my t25. Sorry, don't know much about them yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Keep it externally-gated.

Like was mentioned, keep the turbo as-is and keep the 3" DP as-is. Just figure out the best way for YOU to adapt it from the 2.5" outlet to the 3" DP.

Was your T3 internally-gated? Hard to tell from the provided pic.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep it externally-gated.

Like was mentioned, keep the turbo as-is and keep the 3" DP as-is. Just figure out the best way for YOU to adapt it from the 2.5" outlet to the 3" DP.

Was your T3 internally-gated? Hard to tell from the provided pic.
This is internal correct?
I opted to use the t3 instead of the t5 because I already have an hf manifold with a t3 flange

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is internal correct?
I opted to use the t3 instead of the t5 because I already have an hf manifold with a t3 flange
Yes.
it is missing the waste gate actuator, they are easy to come by tho.

To use external with a hf mani you need to do some thing like I did.
adult photo sharing

Internal gates can be a pain in the ass with hf manifolds also.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
assuming you dont have a way to weld the downpipe these would be your best options.

this one if you want to delete the internal wastegate and add an external one.
T3 T3/T4 5 Bolt Turbo Downpipe Flange Adapter Conversion Kit to 2.5" V-Band 64mm | eBay

this one if you want to keep it internally wastegated.
Rev9 CAST 2.5" to 3" V BAND TURBO FLANGE ADAPTER CONVERSION

this one might fit as well if you want to keep the internal wastegate, not sure.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GT25-GT28-T...ash=item3ad31ed69d:g:fIkAAOSw4GVYNk8a&vxp=mtr
Could I just take the 5 bolt flange off and take it to a shop to have it welded to the 3 down pipe? I've considered buying a harbor freight welder and starting to learn. I pay enough for welding work it'd be worth it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oh and sorry I missed your first question, yes I was told it is a saab turbo.
I have actually considered selling all the parts and buying a kit. I just hate the possibility of spending $600 on something that may break and blow my car up haha
I'd spend $600 on a welder and blow the engine anyway.:devil:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh and sorry I missed your first question, yes I was told it is a saab turbo.
I have actually considered selling all the parts and buying a kit. I just hate the possibility of spending $600 on something that may break and blow my car up haha
I'd spend $600 on a welder and blow the engine anyway.
I meant buying an eBay kit for $600. But, all I have left to get is intercooler piping and a bov

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
a welder would be your best investment, welding thin sheet metal is a pain to weld with a stick welder, however you have alot of options with stick welding such as aluminum rod, stainless rod, cast iron nickle rod etc.

a mig welder would be the best probably, but expect to pay around 500+ for a decent mig, and 300ish for a tombstone stick welder.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The welder is a very good investment. On my first turbo honda i bought the correct adapter to go from 5 bolt flange to vband and welded up my own downpipe with a cheap harbor frieght flux welder. Looked terrible but functioned great! Now with the miller mig and lincoln tig my welding is alot better!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah. Depends on what type you are doing. I started by self teaching but then took some classes in college and they helped out alot! I bought my mig machine first, if I could go back i would have bought a tig first and been done. But the mig is nice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts