Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What up....I havent seen a single thread about these $100-150 turbo diapers....Do they do anything? or basicly jusst like the exhuast wrap? my friend paid $150 shipped for one brand new..and the way his turbo is cocked it looked like shit...so he sold me it for $20 last night....haha.... so anyone have some Pros and Cons about these?? people who have used them/ friends have used them. lata.

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
woord...well keep it coming !!! im sure everyone would like to know !!

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
its usefull on cars where the turbos heat could damage somthing, if your turbo is not in such a place as to harm anything then they are of no use since they do in fact keep the turbo hotter which as we know isn't good.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually....Keeping the turbo center section hotter..is ideal i would think...in a way....turbo doesnt spool worth shit when engine is cold..once the oil is nice and hot mine seems better...humm...But yeah i do have shit that can be damaged....my hood for one..haha...and radiator fan is melted a bit.....to late for the a/c fan wiring..thats already melted.

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
Even if your theory is true you cant keep just that section hot as the heat spreads, and we all know keeping the turbo as cool as possible is best, hence why most of us run turbo timers. that aside its best not to beat on your car untill its all up to operating temperature any way so using a diaper as a reason to beat on your car sooner just isn't good :)

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
We used one on a single turbo 300ZX app only to cut down on heat transfer. It actually works well in that aspect. You can drive the car a while, everything up to regular temps, then put your hand on the diaper and it would just barely even be warm. The one used was a DEI piece.

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
ive seen something similar to these on factory vw/audi. im sure it works.
me too. they put it on the firewall cause thats where the turbo is at. except theirs is reflective.

do it up!

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
We used one on a single turbo 300ZX app only to cut down on heat transfer. It actually works well in that aspect. You can drive the car a while, everything up to regular temps, then put your hand on the diaper and it would just barely even be warm. The one used was a DEI piece.
not really worth the price tag are they? on d-series motors anyway...?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DEI-Turbo-Insulation-Kit-Universal-Diesel-Thermotec_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42610QQihZ004QQitemZ140195175808QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
IMO, no unless you had a topmount setup where the heat would affect the hood paint (or something of that nature)

For $20 like the OP, yeah, I'd buy it too, but not for retail price.

The Z...it was a must have.

Heat was a big factor there, manifolds and DP were all coated and double wrapped and the turbo has the diaper. Heat isn't a problem anymore.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
word...so it will keep heat down...my hoood gets pretty hot from the cast manifold and turbo as it is in the summer time...so this will help out..worth the $20......not $100-150 tho.

Even if your theory is true you cant keep just that section hot as the heat spreads, and we all know keeping the turbo as cool as possible is best, hence why most of us run turbo timers. that aside its best not to beat on your car untill its all up to operating temperature any way so using a diaper as a reason to beat on your car sooner just isn't good :)
beat up on my car sooner? i dont boost in my car until im full temp. i have .007 piston/wall so when my shits cold sound slike a diesel...i know this...im talking about just driving wise u can hear it spooling alot faster once its hot...not positive psi...just spooling regular driving. but yeah...the outside of the thing is gray and perfect condition...the inside is a lil crispy...wont see that tho. we'll see in the sunlight.

·
Registered
164 Posts
man, i saw the thread title, and thought, damn, is this for when ur turbo takes a shit on u??? but i just dont see how this would help, heat is never a good thing on moving parts, even if they are lubed, heat is horsepower's enemy, not friend, but if its used to prevent damage ok, but not beneficial for power

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
I think for 85 bucks the DEI unit is nice.... in March Ill be ordering a bunch of stuff from Autoworks, Ill be most likely picking one of these up as well!

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Can't hurt and for 20 why not.

Ronnie you still running bitch boost?

lol, j/p (i'm still on bitch boost too)

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol, yes om on bitch boost 11-15psi. ONLY because i had christmas to spend $ on. then my girls b day is Jan 11th. so had to buy more...and we been together for 5 yrs..so them $40 presents dont cut it..lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts