Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a few months of me not starting the car. i go to start it... no luck.. put 1 gallon of 93 oct. jumped it and it starts. take the jumpers off. car dies. put in new alternator and battery. car starts but when i take the battery terminal off the car dies. cleaned the grounding wires. car starts take the terminal off and it stays on. i go for a test drive. the car starts sputtering and miss-firing like crazy. i get home and swap the spark plugs, old ones were black. same issue. i checked timing with a timing gun and it seems to be off by 15 deg increased (advanced?). does this sound like a timing issue? ohh and i took the battery terminal off and it dies again.

what could this be?? any help would be great. thanks

my setup is in my sig

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
wtf are you taking off the battery terimal while its running? and you think it wont die?
thats some messed up thinking right there.

Now how do you know its 15degs off?
the itming marks are only for 14 16 and 18. so unless you have a top dollar one. Its hard for me to believe that.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wtf are you taking off the battery terimal while its running? and you think it wont die?
thats some messed up thinking right there.

Now how do you know its 15degs off?
the itming marks are only for 14 16 and 18. so unless you have a top dollar one. Its hard for me to believe that.
ok.... isnt the alternator supposed to keep the car running/ charging the battery?

i have a snap on timing gun..... thats how i see the 15 deg. i am not a noob nor am i an expert.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
ok.... isnt the alternator supposed to keep the car running/ charging the battery?

i have a snap on timing gun..... thats how i see the 15 deg. i am not a noob nor am i an expert.
no.
The alt takes in battery power and ups it then puts it back out.
If you just crank over the alt without power to it it wont work.

And yes the timing should be right at 16deg which is the middle mark on the pulley.

Was this motor tune?

*edit
saw your sign.
Try removing the msd. alot of people have problems with it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so my tank has one gallon that i put in on sunday. im going to put in two gallons. im thinking its bad fuel since its been sitting a while. i attached a datalog and my tune.. thanks for responding...

Attachments

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what i meant about the alternator was that i would turn the car on, then disconnect the terminal. then it would die and still is... i have no CEL's

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am looking through the calibration. and its supposed to do boost by gear. i dont see in the parameters.. ould i have lost the tune somehow?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Misfire fixed. I got a fuel press guage. Swapped out the for and the problem was still there I swapped the walbro for a 340 aeromotive. Psi is back to norm. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
369 Posts
no.
The alt takes in battery power and ups it then puts it back out.
If you just crank over the alt without power to it it wont work.

And yes the timing should be right at 16deg which is the middle mark on the pulley.

Was this motor tune?

*edit
saw your sign.
Try removing the msd. alot of people have problems with it.
This is completely WRONG. This is literally how I have tested for bad alternators on every single car I have ever owned. You should absolutely be able to disconnect your battery when the car is running and it should not die. If it does die, there is a problem with either the alternator itself, the wiring to/from the alt, etc.

The battery is a storage device that provides enough charge to star the car. The alternator, or generator, is then spun by the engine and produces an AC voltage that is rectified to DC which then recharges the battery for the next start. It also will provide power to your system. You CAN run a car off of just the battery with no alternator, but the battery will eventually die, and this is not good for normal batteries.

As far as the MSD, I cannot speak to whether or not that may be a problem. Good luck, I hope you solve your issue.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is completely WRONG. This is literally how I have tested for bad alternators on every single car I have ever owned. You should absolutely be able to disconnect your battery when the car is running and it should not die. If it does die, there is a problem with either the alternator itself, the wiring to/from the alt, etc.

The battery is a storage device that provides enough charge to star the car. The alternator, or generator, is then spun by the engine and produces an AC voltage that is rectified to DC which then recharges the battery for the next start. It also will provide power to your system. You CAN run a car off of just the battery with no alternator, but the battery will eventually die, and this is not good for normal batteries.

As far as the MSD, I cannot speak to whether or not that may be a problem. Good luck, I hope you solve your issue.
Thanks.. thats what ive always done to test alternators. anyways it was the fuel pump that was causing the missfire. not enough pressure..

·
Registered
2,340 Posts

This is old school train of thought, modern generators are not quite the same.

Oh ya, and MSD sucks for our rigs.... unless you buy the upper end units, they cant take the compression or RPM's of our motors. It even says so on the box.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is old school train of thought, modern generators are not quite the same.

Oh ya, and MSD sucks for our rigs.... unless you buy the upper end units, they cant take the compression or RPM's of our motors. It even says so on the box.
i see.... im not reving past 7200 rpm.. i mainly got it bc of a deal and 2step. the motor made great power all the way up to 7200 on the dyno. begged for more....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts