• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few months I have been doing research as to which route I want to take my car. I have a 92 cx with a z6 swap currently with ~160k and a recently replaced lsd motorsports clutch. currently have i/h/e too nothing special. I use the car as a dd and drive around 300 miles + - a week mostly highway to my job or college (Hofstra). I have been debating for the longest time whether to build / boost the z6 or swap it out for a b series. Reliability is my main issue here. If I were to go boost I would only aim for ~230whp or so. Input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
burp....... we get threads like this every week. this is d series.org what do you think every one will say?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
true, Its just that I been thinking bout it for so long I just gotta do it now. Do you guys think a greddy kit would be the right choice since I most likely wont be boosting alot until i build it ( after next winter)? I guess I posted the poll because it seems like every one i know has been tellin me to ditch the single slam for a b series. They just keep tellin me it wont be reliable / worth the money invested if i build it.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
if you slap a greddy kit on a single stick, it will act just like stock. if you use the whole kit, you will not even notice a difference unless your flooring it and hear the little turbo spin or the bov.

seriously, for a student a greddy kit + a z6 is the best bet. since it is reliable and efficient enough to hang with a b16 swapped car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i picked the b16, cause you sound like a ricer fan boy and the lack of tq would match your style of ricer driving.
I am sorry if I came off like a ricer fan boy with my poll. Believe me I am not that by any means. I have been researching turboing my car for a long time now. I have been building this car for the past 1 and 3/4 it was stolen last yr and have put alot of time into it. I guess I posted this because I wanted some motivation to go d series. I really wasnt expecting to get flamed on this site as it is usually good with helping me out, thats also why I posted the poll for advice. Also, I fig you guys have alot more experiance with turbo d's so I figured if I were to ask for advice this would be a good revenue. I really did not mean to come off as a ricer or a stupid noob that posts random shit on your site.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
if you slap a greddy kit on a single stick, it will act just like stock. if you use the whole kit, you will not even notice a difference unless your flooring it and hear the little turbo spin or the bov.

seriously, for a student a greddy kit + a z6 is the best bet. since it is reliable and efficient enough to hang with a b16 swapped car.
you mean dust

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks man. Thats what I was figuring to do. btw whats ur setup?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
you mean dust
no i mean hang. a nicely done b16 (i/h/e + cams) can sit even (aka hang with) with a stock greddy boosted z6.

b16 transmission owns the s20/s40 b0000 trans any day of the week. ;)

Thanks man. Thats what I was figuring to do. btw whats ur setup?
i am currently the proud owner of a empty engine bay. :lol:

ok but seriously, i have posted the full set-up several times and really don't want to post it again but....

here is the basic stuff:
built y7
edelbrock y8 IM
b16 tb
z6 trans w/ lsd
ebay cast manifold
57 trim
550s
big fmic and piping
18 psi, 280 whp
14k miles DD and across the country trip, with perfect cylinders when head was torn off for the engine sale.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Boosted LS, done.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
off topic but you dont happen to know a chick named Noel that goes to hofstra do you? BTW, i say turbo the D, DOHC are only good for N/A

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Noel? Um no y is she in any sororities or ne thing? Im in a frat I could find out if so. BTW 99ejst, thats one hell of a set up and you didnt have any problems going cross country with it?

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
Boosted LS, done.

i miss mine daily....

seriously...if you got money to do a swap you got more money than you need to put a turbo on. turbos are always the best bang for the buck...always.

how much money do you have set aside right now to do the work? or is this one of those "one day in the future" threads...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I only have 2k to play with at the moment since im at school and only work weekends. This is not an in the future build / talk I been thinking to swap or boost for a while and have done alot of looking into it. I realize that I must just commit to it and start buying parts for either one. Im opting for the greddy kit. How ever, doesnt the "emanage" suck or will it be alright for a reliable dd?

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
no i mean hang. a nicely done b16 (i/h/e + cams) can sit even (aka hang with) with a stock greddy boosted z6.

b16 transmission owns the s20/s24 b0000 trans any day of the week. ;)
haha only cuz the stock greddy kit is only putting out 6 psi on a little turbo... lol that amounts to what? 140ishwhp with a little more torque than the b16

:neutral: not flaming per say, but if you searched and searched then why do you still post a silly poll here? should be in the noob, or even the debate section- i think its open to you. the info is posted all over every day, i'd almost bet theres probably a thread about it on the next page or two lol

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
(I only have 2k to play with ) i have considerably less than that and im doing a homemade turbo setup. if i had your cash i would piece together a kit. the greddy is small and while you may get close to 230 at the wheels how efficient is it going to be? you can build the z6 from suppliers on here for the rods and pistons dont touch the head. it is efficient for i think it was said 2o psi? correct me if im wrong. anyone can spend your money though. basically rebuild the bottom end with fjt rods and pistons new gasket set and go with a hmt setup. you can piece one together fairly cheap if you are careful with buying parts. i have about 1000 in mine so far need some other stuff but it wont be to expensive probably another 400 or so.so less than 2000 got a rebuilt motor and a bigger turbo for more power later. my .02

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.