Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am setting up my first car for a turbo. at the moment i have the stock d15b7
with a d16a6 cam i am going to put on a diy ported head that i did myself and arp headstuds. i am hoping for around 160-180hp on 6-8 psi
i bough a used airesearch m27 turbo for 140 online. i looked it up and as far as i can tell it is the same bearing housing as a garrett t3 it is a journal bearing turbo and water cooled.

turbo specs are:
compresser
inducer 40.50 mm
exducer 60.24
trim is 45
.42 a/r

turbine
inducer 48.76mm
exducer 58.3
70 trim
.63 a/r
all numbers were what i measured off of it

im going to make my own header. are there any good designs that are that much better? i was thinking of doing a 4 into 2 into a collector and try to make them as equal length as possible.

for tuning i am going to buy a chipping kit from xencron along with a chip burner and a lc1 wideband o2 sensor

tomorow i am going to get a hks blow off valve for 100 through craigslist.
and i have a chunk of 3" diameter solid aluminum that i am planning on machining into a oil sandwich adapter.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
i think you can probably find a cast manifold and oil sandwich plate on ebay for cheap.
save your fab skills for your downpipe, and charge piping.
get a saab or mitsubishi intercooler and some bigger injectors.
good luck with the the build, boost is an addiction!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I remember my first turbo build...similer to yours...small responsive turbo on a d15b7 with an a6 cam...every one said its an addiction and i would want more....i stood my ground that 170-200 is all i wanted and am not gonna want more.....needless to say several years later look at my sig.....

Good luck and do plenty of reading up on turbo builds.....

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
well seems like u did your home work, thats good.
for your power levels id just get an Ebay cast iron manifold and oil sandwhich plate.
fab up your own downpipe.
then order the rest of the stuff from good know places.
and please do hook up the water lines.
get some bigger injectors 410cc and up. id say if u keep it around 200whp 410cc-450cc will be good.

other then that u should be on ur way to boost.

·
Registered
1990 civic 4 door LX
2,121 Posts
The cool thing is that thing could probably max the turbo out depending on the setup, would be so much fun!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all your thoughts!
i did end up buying that hks bov. and i just started making the flanges for the turbo manifold. i know i only really need a log style but i have the supplies laying around and its fun.

i am also looking at making a bigger better black box out off a new shell and the net stuff inside the stock ones. i am going to run my valve cover vent and block vent into it a drain out of the side and a filtered vent off the top and mount it on the fire wall. What are your thoughts?

and sorry about not having any pictures i have been having some trouble getting them to a size that is small enough to upload.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the d15 rods are tiny and thin but there are a couple builds making ~200 HP on them and I don't plan to push it that far and I am doing this so later on I can change out pistons and rods and go further. And its better and more fun to make things yourself

·
Registered
88 Posts
good luck iwth ur build
i am still wrkn on my 1st turbo project, its a single banger tooo
jus not a D-series.........

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Updated on my build. I finished wielding the header together will post photos today I still need to clean up the wields and straighten out the flange. I got excited and forgot to bolt it down. Lately I have been machining a oil pressure plate adapter. I am making one the will feed clean oil to the turbo. In the next couple weeks I'm going to test fit my manifold and start making a down pipe.

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
Looks good, I'd try to smooth the transistion of the runners a little bit more. 1 and 4 look a bit hairy.

You'll have fun with it for a while but go ahead and start looking for upgraded internals... Boost is like sex, you hit it for a while with the same chick then you're ready to upgrade

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just looked at the picture again that was the first go at the 1 and 4 runners i made different ones that are smoother. i dont have any photos of the second go at the 1 and 4 runners yet.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just bought the obd1 chipping kit from Xenocron,with a base map for when I put my turbo on. Would the car run fine with the turbo basemap without the turbo?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Should run fine without the turbo.... the base map should have relatively the same timing on the non-boosted portion of it.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
good stuff! sub'd for quality progress!

1 - 20 of 108 Posts