Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Civic DX hatch
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm going to be starting on a project to build a turbo mini-me- I'm working on gettings the parts together.

My question is this: how much would it cost to build an 11 second street car with a turbo mini me that is fairly reliable?
What parts would you guys suggest/what platform? I was thinking a Del Sol.

Thanks for any input. :bigok:

·
Registered
2000 Civic DX hatch
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By street I mean it still has all the things to be legal- in places like Texas or what ever where the emissions laws are relaxed, but as far as having things that aren't really that necessary like say... an HVAC or the like, I really don't care.

I am coming from Subaru hell, so I am new to Hondas. I figured the D series would be a good choice to work with since its not going to cost me an arm and a leg like an EJ would.

Thanks y'all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Right now I'm going to be starting on a project to build a turbo mini-me- I'm working on gettings the parts together.

My question is this: how much would it cost to build an 11 second street car with a turbo mini me that is fairly reliable?
What parts would you guys suggest/what platform? I was thinking a Del Sol.

Thanks for any input. :bigok:
Like they've said before, i would recommend looking at other peoples build on here so you have an idea of what parts are needed to achieve ur goals...

·
Registered
371 Posts
i say d16z6, vitara pistons,fjt rods, some port work on the head, valvesprings and retainers, and either colt cam,or delta regrind,arps,gaskets, oil pump,bearings,water pump,etc and a goodclutch

then youll need a wideband, boost guage,standalone, injectors, fuel pump, regulator and guage for tuning

the turbo kit is where youll spend your money, tial 50mm bov,tial 44 wastegate, go autoworks piping kit,nice ram horn manifold, and i say a gt30 turbo,boost controller,downpipe, exhaust.

im shure im missing alot since ive never been that fast,axels,trannys,etc will need some attention, so add all that up and youll have a starting bottom price,youll always find more stuff you need but never less

·
Registered
2000 Civic DX hatch
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
search, its gonna cost you an arm and one leg
I wasn't anticipating cheap, I was already looking into Vitara pistons, Bisimoto H beam rods, ARP head studs, having said components weighed and balanced- crank too- can't forget that.

Can't forget a good cam thrown in the mix.
I just need need to figure out which turbo would work well and how feasible this sort of thing is.

·
Registered
2000 Civic DX hatch
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm thinking a Del Sol for the platform- what all exactly would I need as far as the drive line and tranny?
The engine won't be hard, I just need to get my hands on the block and head and start from there. Looks like I am going to be covering a lot of extra CQ shifts, but I think I can get my hands on everything easy.
D series heads and blocks don't seem to be hard to get.
You can't cheap out on engine management its like cheaping out on condoms-horrible expensive things happen as the result.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm thinking a Del Sol for the platform- what all exactly would I need as far as the drive line and tranny?
The engine won't be hard, I just need to get my hands on the block and head and start from there. Looks like I am going to be covering a lot of extra CQ shifts, but I think I can get my hands on everything easy.
D series heads and blocks don't seem to be hard to get.
You can't cheap out on engine management its like cheaping out on condoms-horrible expensive things happen as the result.
You can use a stock tranny and just buy a LsD quaife? Idk how u spell it lol

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Wouldnt use a del sol there are heavy a 2dr civic is lighter and then the hatch is the lightest.
Transmission wise would be lsd z6 with a good clutch. And not sure on axle some have taken stock to 400hp without problem so idk on them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i would get a hatch or coupe more room and they way less.... and 5-6gs is a good range ive seen people spend a lot less and make thoes goals but he bought all ebay shit and had to redo the block 6moutnhs later...

·
Registered
2000 Civic DX hatch
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Crap. I thought that the Hell slo would be light weight!
I really don't want to risk the Civic- I love it too much.

Is it a CRAP load more or just a little bit more?
Also, what block and head would you guys suggest?

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Looks like you are on the right track. Check out the showcase section and look at some other people's builds to get an idea of what you are getting yourself into. The best advice I can give you is to not be in a hurry and to do your research, those two things together will save you a lot of money and a lot of headaches.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Read Tue stickies in the top of this section.....it will answer 98% of the questions Ur asking....come back with a specific question, short answer for 5-6k you could easily have an 11 sec capable street car, whether you have the skill to make it go 11s is the real question

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Crap. I thought that the Hell slo would be light weight!
I really don't want to risk the Civic- I love it too much.

Is it a CRAP load more or just a little bit more?
Also, what block and head would you guys suggest?
Oh boy here comes the debate. There are a couple of different schools of people here some like their vtec and others say it's not worth it. I think most people will agree that a z6 block and crank are a good place to start but there is a lot of wiggle room as far as the head goes. Pretty sure that most of the Honda head will get you too your goal ... but the one's that are commonly used (IIRC) are the z6, a6, y8 and y7 heads.

·
Registered
2000 Civic DX hatch
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Read Tue stickies in the top of this section.....it will answer 98% of the questions Ur asking....come back with a specific question, short answer for 5-6k you could easily have an 11 sec capable street car, whether you have the skill to make it go 11s is the real question
Practice practice practice :D A little seat time will go along way.
I'm going to start getting the parts together soon here, starting with the engine and tranny first. So... the fun shall begin.
I reckon that I will start a build thread on that one.
I've already gathered that the amount of money that I will save doing a Dingle cam is going to be nuts! Which makes me a happy panda. I just need to learn more about these little buggers.

·
Registered
2000 Civic DX hatch
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Oh boy here comes the debate. There are a couple of different schools of people here some like their vtec and others say it's not worth it. I think most people will agree that a z6 block and crank are a good place to start but there is a lot of wiggle room as far as the head goes. Pretty sure that most of the Honda head will get you too your goal ... but the one's that are commonly used (IIRC) are the z6, a6, y8 and y7 heads.
Already found the head- y8-bisimoto cams good?
I also got the vitara pistons and the rods from golden eagle- H beams. Would a Y7 block be a bad choice?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Simple fact is none vtec WILL make less power. On a boosted setup any vtec head will make more power!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts