Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking at used cars. The 97-98 cr-v caught my eye with its b20b and 5-spd awd. Strapping a turbo to it would be fun with its low compression. There is a lot of power to be made on the b20 platform. Anything to look out for? Particularly weak components?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
The AWD system is kinda shit and I have yet to personally see one with 5 speed.

But other than that, I think it would be cool. I would get a normal auto/FWD one, put an LS trans in it, and turbo it.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
b20s siamesed sleeves make them fragile when boosted, keep it under 300whp and keep it tuned fat and lazy.

the AWD transfer case makes the downpipe routing a little more complicated than it would otherwise be (you need to kink the downpipe to clear)

otherwise go nuts, awesome platform for sure

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
The AWD system is kinda shit and I have yet to personally see one with 5 speed.

But other than that, I think it would be cool. I would get a normal auto/FWD one, put an LS trans in it, and turbo it.
fodo has one. and the "awd" isn't much of awd. might be fun, but I dunno

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Even with a manual transmission the rear diff is connected via a viscous coupling, almost like a torque converter. If the front wheels were to start spinning, the coupling would lock up and transfer power to the rear and vice versa. So its not really fully AWD like with a center differential. Its more like either FWD or RWD depending on what has traction.
I think its really designed for light off-road duty. Im sure it would help get you un-stuck in sand or snow, but its probably not going to help with drag launching or handling.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even with a manual transmission the rear diff is connected via a viscous coupling, almost like a torque converter. If the front wheels were to start spinning, the coupling would lock up and transfer power to the rear and vice versa. So its not really fully AWD like with a center differential. Its more like either FWD or RWD depending on what has traction.
I think its really designed for light off-road duty. Im sure it would help get you un-stuck in sand or snow, but its probably not going to help with drag launching or handling.

Interesting, no mods for it?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Im pretty sure it is built into the rear diff housing, so theoretically you could mount a different diff in there from another AWD car, one that has a LSD center differential, and you would have legitimate AWD. As long as the transmission could take it, I bet it would be pretty killer.

·
Registered
F2k Sixth gen
22 Posts
This^ It is RT(Real time)4wd. The fourth gen wagons operate the same. People have turbocharged 5speed CRVs with decent results but from what im told, TOLD, is that the viscous coupler and rear ends dont like a lot of power/trq.

IMW in carlise pa did a turbo 1st Gen CRV years back and it looked to be a sweet ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj3HDFyCHy8

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
make a crvtec for the time being, and see about finding a spare transfer case and rear end to take apart and rebuild.

maybe cryo-treat parts as you rebuild them. I seriously doubt they will be bullet proof, but fresh rebuilds on those components and FREQUENT fluid changes should keep them alive FAR longer than stock used stuff.

·
Registered
00 Civic Coupe
267 Posts
A turbo on a CRV would make it a much more enjoyable vehicle to drive. The 97-98 especially, has a severe lack of power. My dad and I both have AWD versions (auto trans unfortunately) and trying to get up to speed on the interstate takes a little bit. lol I'm sure the auto trans has something to do with it, but it's still just terribly under powered. If I had a 5-speed, it would have a turbo in a heartbeat, but the automatic throws everything off.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Lol I paid a lot for mine because I didn't have much time. But I had the option of getting the 2nd Gen manual for a couple thousand more o_O

Anyway, It would work but yes, the AWD 5sp versions are different. First of all they have a pretty short trans. So the leap from auto to AWD is crazy different. But the 5sp is a lot harder to find.

I also moved to lighter and smaller rims which makes it get up and got a lot better. The AWD isn't what a subaru is, but if the system is properly working, it can kick in fast enough to oversteer a bit. There is a delay so if you are on a track it will likely feel a bit funny. But just fun blasting around it will engage a small second later - smashing the gas at a light in the rain.

With the trans I tell everyone that it is pretty rev happy. But yes, a B20V would probably make it pretty nice. I plan to throw my other P8R head plus Rocket regrind on mine down the road. But that's years from now....

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
A turbo on a CRV would make it a much more enjoyable vehicle to drive. The 97-98 especially, has a severe lack of power. My dad and I both have AWD versions (auto trans unfortunately) and trying to get up to speed on the interstate takes a little bit. lol I'm sure the auto trans has something to do with it, but it's still just terribly under powered. If I had a 5-speed, it would have a turbo in a heartbeat, but the automatic throws everything off.
^^

I was just going to mention this.

I would use the 99-01 CRV as they have a slightly highter compression ratio, which will be better for throttle response, spool and MPGs

1 - 20 of 30 Posts