Honda D Series Forum banner

201 - 220 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #201

Got a 2.25 vband this time (last time it was 2inch because of the top pipe).
Going to lip it. I know this is a bad picture but you get the idea. Push some of the pipe through so that it will go into the other pipe. It should seal pretty good.
Also plan on tightening the vband down and welding it while its all together like i did the other one to stop it from wrapping.

I would weld everything up and installed today. But im waiting on the cat flange to come in. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow and i can weld everything up and install.

Also order a 2.25 cat back. Found out my piping is all jacked up. Long story but lets just say my exhaust was smaller then i thought and its leaking , got dents etc...

Stay tune ill be updating when flange and exhaust comes in. Cant wait to see how the car feels with bigger piping.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Hell i got bored so i welded up the vband to the top of the dp.
Now see i can weld good on thick metals.

Wondering what that foil is doing there lol? Well its an old trick i use to make sure the flux core doesnt splater all over the place. It works so hey dont knock it.

Not look at these great welds after a quick wire brush.

I did it with the lip as i plan (dont got pix since its cooling).
Ill tack everything up tomorrow and adjust what i need to. Im betting ill have to cut that pipe in half and angle it some.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Well the exhaust came in yesterday.

Took me about 2 hrs to cut out the old and install the new. It would of been less time but the cat had the o2 bung welded upside down so i was installing the catback upside down.

Once i pulled a diagram from the net all was good and pop it in within 30mins.

It sounds nice. Smoother and quieter then what i had before. (took a sound clip but ill redo it and upload it if anyone wants to hear.)

As you can see its all nice and tucked. My old exhaust hung down more then this one.

I would be welding up and installing the new downpipe. But had to do a run this morning so the car is still hot. When it colds down ill install it.
But i will say that the car runs damn good. Faster then before.
MY girl likes the exhaust also, its silent then when i get on it you can hear the turbo spool and and shes it sounds like a beast. lol. I told her thats how i like it.

Once the dp is install ill retune but from the looks of it everything is pretty good. I had it rich before but it lean itself out to an ok point. about 11.7 but its getting to 12.5 around full boost. Well retune once all is done.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #205 (Edited)
Lol. Its all good. If i would of had stock piping it would of been no problem but mines was custom and all one from cat to muffler.

And i got the downpipe made and install. Only took one pix tho. Its a shame since im very proud of my work.
But its makes a big differecen. The afr are still close to what they where but the damn turbo spools up a hell of a lot faster. Even boosted up to 13psi @ 4.2k
I gotta adjust the wastegate when i got time. Going to drop it to around 9psi.

But all in all everything is good and it sounds n runs much better then before.

PIX

The old dp outlet and the new dp outlet.

The elbow. Yea yea i didnt wirebrush the welds i was tired.

Here is the lower half of the dp. Its all one main part. unlike the other one which was like 4 or 5 parts welded together.
I, very proud of myself and welds lol.

I do have a small leak me welder tip messed up i gotta buy another one.\

better primary o2 placement doesnt touch the oil drain.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Well the exhaust came in yesterday.

Took me about 2 hrs to cut out the old and install the new. It would of been less time but the cat had the o2 bung welded upside down so i was installing the catback upside down.

Once i pulled a diagram from the net all was good and pop it in within 30mins.

It sounds nice. Smoother and quieter then what i had before. (took a sound clip but ill redo it and upload it if anyone wants to hear.)

As you can see its all nice and tucked. My old exhaust hung down more then this one.

I would be welding up and installing the new downpipe. But had to do a run this morning so the car is still hot. When it colds down ill install it.
But i will say that the car runs damn good. Faster then before.
MY girl likes the exhaust also, its silent then when i get on it you can hear the turbo spool and and shes it sounds like a beast. lol. I told her thats how i like it.

Once the dp is install ill retune but from the looks of it everything is pretty good. I had it rich before but it lean itself out to an ok point. about 11.7 but its getting to 12.5 around full boost. Well retune once all is done.
same fleabay exhausts i am using as well, looking forward to hear the sound clip:) keep up the good work:D

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Well pix are up.
I took her for a drive and she is rich lol. Retuning it today. But im pretty much done with the car :D
Idk how much whp its making but its pretty fun on 9psi so ill probably leave it at the or bump it up to 10. Just trying to play it safe since i dont plan on building the block.

Im going to repaint my car and get some much needed rims and tires and my WHIP is done.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Going to put the stock cat in today. Gotta weld a flange to it but it should be in today.
The exhaust would smell bad after a run. Kinda like the old 80s cars burnt my noise hairs lol.
Either way stock cat will be in place.may check into a high flow if power seems to drop.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Read the entire thread in about two days. I plan on doing the same thing that you are doing using a small T25 turbo and keeping my a/c only thing is I live in Cali so I will be needing it to be able to take off easily when I need to smog it once a year anyways awesome thread and awesome Honda!

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #211 (Edited)
Might have already answered this, but how do you like tuning with the AEM FIC? I just got one for my single cam turbo build as well.
Its cool. I love it. Just plug the laptop to it and change stuff on the fly.
And easy to use and tune.

Also small update to my build.
I order an inlet flange for the compressor. So now the inlet is 2.25 then open to 2.5 inlet tube (use to be 2in then open to 2.5in) and just much smoother.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Also retune for better mpg and im now getting 310miles on a fulll tank when i was getting like 270-280. Same driving habits. So all thats good. If i stop boosting everywhere i go i bet id get more lol..

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
hey xile6, i got an exhaust leak at the flange before the long resonator. what you suggest I do? i tightened the two bolts as much as i could without breaking the bolt or stripping the nut. Should I get another gasket and use a double gasket route?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
hey xile6, i got an exhaust leak at the flange before the long resonator. what you suggest I do? i tightened the two bolts as much as i could without breaking the bolt or stripping the nut. Should I get another gasket and use a double gasket route?
thanks in advance
The donut gasket is mainly used for downpipe to cat.
If your talking about right after the cat to cat-back. Then you can try another gaskets.
I used copper spray on all flanges and gaskets. Laid it on thick. Then tighten the bolts down. Then re-tighten after a few days. No leaks so.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The donut gasket is mainly used for downpipe to cat.
If your talking about right after the cat to cat-back. Then you can try another gaskets.
I used copper spray on all flanges and gaskets. Laid it on thick. Then tighten the bolts down. Then re-tighten after a few days. No leaks so.
yup right after the cat/test pipe i can see steam blowing down on the pavement. what copper spray are you talking about? Ok so i need a new gasket, spray the copper spray on the both flange faces, tighten and wait a few days before tighten more?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
yup right after the cat/test pipe i can see steam blowing down on the pavement. what copper spray are you talking about? Ok so i need a new gasket, spray the copper spray on the both flange faces, tighten and wait a few days before tighten more?

Copper Spray ^ lol...
But yes i sprayed both flanges and both sides of the gasket.
Then bolt it all up and then after a few days re-tighten it. basically after a few heat cycles.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #216 (Edited)
Update on my life.

I had some ebucks so i ended up getting me a b20 iat some wks ago.
Welded it in where i had the gm sensor. All that has been good cruising afr are more stable.

Then last night my axle broke right int he middle turning about 2 blocks from the house.
So at 12am i had to get someone to drive me to autozone and change the axle on the side of the road.

Sucks but it could of been worse so im cool. And the axle broke because it needed to be replace but i didnt have the cash till right now.

Also got this bad boy from jotech today.

yea yea should of been order it but didnt. I will install it tommorrow and i hope it fixes my low fuel cut off problem.

Other then that all seems good. Just the oil pan is leaking so gotta change that gasket.
And im going to order a better catch can.

edit.

o yeah once i move the iat and retune i got my high rpm high boost fix.
I have to run a 11.3-.5 to keep it smooth but other then that i can redline her at 10psi without problem.
jotech guy told me he can do 3 pulls on the dyno to check part and small adjustments for $75.
So once the pump is in i may do that just to get a number. Not to worry about it as the car hold down its own.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Keep up the good work...progress is comming along nicely

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Meoooowwwww.
The walbro is in. Was a pretty fast job all bolts where good so everything came out smooth.

Started her up and she sounds like a wolf. Unlike the stock puppy lol.

Well idle is a little smoother. Went boosting a lil on the streets and she is richer in the high rpms.
Which i knew it would be since the factory pump was more or less crapping out. So will tune that out later today.

Also got the driver side axle installed. decided i would do it since the pass side broke in middle drive and the driver side has a tear boot.
so been a busy buys day for me today.

Im trying to hunt down a can of purple paint so i can redo my valve cover and probably the front brakes.

Catchcan order will post pix of bay when it comes in.

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
The parts stores are open that late? 12 AM?

201 - 220 of 257 Posts