Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
ej8
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Turbo Civic AC build Pic *Update* 04-11-12 **56k no way**

Ok i wasnt going to start this thread till i had all my parts and installed day came, but i got a few requests for pics.

This is a very planed out custom kit. If you follow this kit to a tee you should be turboed up and running and making anywhere from 160-200hp.

A little background :
First i wanted to turbo my ej1 (93 ex), was planing on using an ebay t3 turbo (people knock them alot but i cant say because i never ran it). Only planed on running low boost 5-7psi. the t3 spools kinda late, 4.5-4.8k. I was told and found out that this big of a turbo wasnt needed for my goals and something smaller would be better. So i set out to find something around the range of the geddy, edelbrock, and apexi kits, But i didnt have the money $2k-$3 at one time is a killer. So long story short i sold my t3 and the ej1 to get an ej6(98 ex) and then got me a nissan t25. Its an oem replacement for the s13/s14 240sx. So its not ball bearing. It has great oil seals and its balanced.

MY goals for this car is simple. To be turbo and getting 160-170whp. For those who say just swap to a b motor for that low of a power. Well your wrong 160whp is more then a b16 whp and will run neck and neck to a gsr whp.

Parts list. Long list but a ton of information (updated to show new route):
this is a copy and paste of my word list i wrote for me.
*Part Gotten, 0. Feel free to donate :D

D16 turbo kit Good for 160hp-220hp

Turbo/Manifold
*12 inch Slim Fan (AC side) $22 * Slim Fan Rad. $22
*T3 manifold mini (greddy style, Bolts M10 x 1.5 x 35) $65
*T25 turbo (m8 x 1.25 studs) $192
*T25 to t3 adapter w/flanges (8 x 1.25 bolts) $45
*T25 Oil Feed Banjo Bolt M12x1.24 4an w/0.06 restrictor $15
*T25 Oil drain flange 4an 44mmbolt spacing $15
* T25 coolant pipes m14x1.5 $14

Fab Downpipe
* Downpipe flange (sr20 2 hole) $20
* 90* pipe $25
* v-band flange set $28
*90* pipe $25
*3ft straight pipe $15
*2x o2 bung $16
* 2bolt cat flange $10
* Donut gasket $15

Oil/coolant items
* Oil feed line (36inch -4an) $30
*Oil sandwich plate (w/-4an to 1/8ntp fitting) $35
* Coolant lines (12mm) $20
* Oil drain line 1ft (5/8inch heater hose) $1.50
* Oil pan flange nipple $5
* Ebay catch can $20

***Tuning***
* AEM FIC 30-1911 $350
0 Boomsang OBD2 FIC harness $200 * Hard wires it
* RDX injectors $50ea or $170 a set
* RDX adapter spacer. 14mm to 11mm $50
* RDX obd2 clips $90
*Boost gauge $25 * Oil gauge $30
* Wideband o2 (with data logging) $170-200
0 225lph fuel pump $100 Will get soon..

Intercooler kit

* Intercooler piping diy. est $60-$80[/B]
* T25 compressor flange output flange $13.
* t25 compressor inlet flange $20.
*Intercooler $25 got a deal
*Blow of valve (with flange) Godspeed RS 50mm 8psi spring. $60
* GM IAT weld in screw in type. $30shipped with pigtail

Full tank 91 octane or higher
0Spark Plugs 2 step colder n the mail!!

*Misc. items.

* Bolts
* Gaskets
* Silicone seal-it
*Vacuum line/tees
* Wrap for AC lines

Done........ Tune….

Wideband AFR chart
20-15inhg 15-14.7 AFR
16-0inhg 13.9/12.1 AFR
1-5psi Low 12s AFR
6-10psi 11-12 AFR

1* deg retard per psi

---
You still with me?
Well now for the goodies. Ill update the pics tomorrow as some parts i dont have pix of right now.

Manifold :

Adapter plate :

Turbo :

Mounted :

*******The money shot click to jump right 2 it***************
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/145900-turbo-civic-ac-build-pic-56k-no-way-8.html

·
Registered
68 Posts
gonna be a sweet setup, what d16 are you using and what kit?

·
Registered
ej8
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
gonna be a sweet setup, what d16 are you using and what kit?
Custom build. I pieced it together. The part list is up there somewhere.

Good luck with the downpipe! It looks tight. I tried to get ac to work with that same manifold and a dsm t25 with the stock o2 sensor housing and it didn't fit. So thats when I decided to pull it all out! Hope it works for you though.
Yea it clears ac fine. Ill be using one 2.25inch pipe thats at a 90* bend. I am just waiting for my flange to come in the mail. Then ill weld it up and post back. But after its welded I should have a little less tgen 1/2inch between downpipe and ac compressor. I build this kit around ac because tx is to damn hot.

*edit d16y8, stock, 180 compression across the board. Ill probablu shim the pump when I do the oil drain into the pan.

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
So far it looks pretty clean.
Is the turbo sitting to low to drain properly? I couldnt help notice how thick that flange adapter was dropping the turbo down.

·
Registered
ej8
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So far it looks pretty clean.
Is the turbo sitting to low to drain properly? I couldnt help notice how thick that flange adapter was dropping the turbo down.
Flange drops the turbo down 1.75 inch. When i first got it before test fitting i thought it would hang to low, but once fitted it looks like it should be ok.

I was thinking about pointing it 45 deg towards the normal spots. It should work and not have any sharp bends. Ill find out n the next few days, Monday i should get my drain flange for the turbo and next week i can weld up the dp when i get the flange.

** Dont mind the dirty motor ill clean it when i can its been like that since i got the car about a month ago

·
Registered
ej8
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
looks nice. are you going to buy an inlet flange? also where did you get the turbo from?
I got the turbo from ebay from "driftformula" now before you knock that listen. My friend has an s14 and he has been using one of these turbos for a while. Its an oem replacement,its just not ball bearing. Also this guy on ebay gets them from another website.(ill post it when I find the box). All these turbos r balacned and have good parts in them. You can see the marks from were they were balaced.

And yea the oil drain flange came in yesterday its a pipe fitting but its 5/8inch I'm not sure if that's to small.(ill post pix later). I need the pan adatper tho looking for a screw in because its to hard to get my pan welded.
The feed adapter came in also but was the wrong size thread. I need a 12x1.25 so I'm going to order that this wk along with the downpipe flange and finish my downpipe.

I'm taking this build a wk at a time as I get money and order parts but its coming along and move good.

***edit***
Learn something new every day. "an" as in "-10an" means that number over 16 so 10an is 10/16 which reduce to 5/8th inch.

Dont mind that hose its an air hose I just used it to mock up. I know i need to cut the pipe shorter. and the pan fitting should work without having a sag in it.

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Dude, how long is that FMIC? It looks like the end tanks would stick out of a full size ford truck lol.

·
Registered
ej8
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hey would you happen to have a link to "driftformula"'s auctions? I can't find him on ebay for the life of me.

Thanks for helping me

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
2.25? pffffff 3" and AC or go home son! haha

JK looks good good luck fitting it all its a bitch trust me I know!

·
Registered
ej8
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So I just noticed in your build sheet you had listed a crome tuned chipped ecu, an afc, a missing link, and a fmu. I just want to make sure you know that you don't need any of that stuff except for the ecu, and I would recommend against getting the afc missing link and fmu.
The car is obd2 the ecu is under tuning which will be ran 24x7. The fmu missing link or afc. Will only be used for emission testtings. Since obd2 you must drive for about 30miles to get the system to do all its checks.

My list is very planed out I did my home work.

@speedjunky01
I seen ur 3inch build looks nice. But ill probably start out small to get up and running then upgrade the piping later.

Ill be getting my flange in the mail Monday so ill try to finish up my downpipe. If I can time today I'm going to weld some mounts to the frame for the intercooler.
Just haven't had a lot of time plus power was out all day yesterday, it was that damn storm lightening hit the transformer :p

@sde780
http://stores.ebay.com/driftformula/_i.html?rt=nc&_nkw=t25&_sid=928194043&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=5

t25 s13 240sx should be 190-195

·
Registered
a car
1,461 Posts
looking good. im gonna follow this closely.

i would get some wrap and turbo blanket to keep the ac and other stuff nice and cool

·
Registered
ej8
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
OK first off do these pics need resizing? Any pix in this thread, if so let me know.

@Demon_12-21-2012
AC wrap is on my list, the blanket however is not but the turbo itself doesnt sit to close to the ac system. And ill also probably wrap the dp

Well i got some time today so i test fitted the intercooler. Ended up having to make a bracket so it would have something to reset on. The cooler has taps welded to it so i plan on using some self taping screws and just drill it to the frame.

Painted so it doesnt rust. Yea could of painted it better but didnt feel like it.

Intercooler with bumper on. I need to do some trimming to the inside of the bumper. Also raise the cooler up 1/2inch so it gets more air flow.

Also some pics i forgot to add.
Its a lil under 3inch from where the flange outside would sit.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

This is the oultet for the turbo it will have 2inch once there is a flange bolted on. I plan on welding a 1.5 inch 90* pipe (turbo out let is around 1.4inch) then flare it out to 2inch and keeping that till after the cooler were it would become 2.5 to tb

everything is coming along nicely. which is good because im on a budget. But this forum should be updated @lest every 2wks if not then ever month. Depends on my cash flow

·
Registered
852 Posts
Nice work, thanks for the link! Must be nice to know how to weld, I want to buy a harbour freight flux core but it's either a welder or a turbo and I like boost better :)

1 - 20 of 257 Posts