Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So most of my new turbo build is sorted out in my head and I'm down to choosing the turbo.

I've got it narrowed down to two:

1) Evo 8 9.8 16g ... or
2) Evo X 16g

Now there are good reasons to get both. Car is going to be a DD/AutoX car again (still?) and I'm not concerned at all about peak whp. What I am concerned about is a good useable torque band.

The original plan was to use the Evo 8 turbo and I feel that it may suit my needs the best. Quick spool, good torque and more top end than I could possibly want or even need. It's a little difficult to find a low mileage one though.

However my tuner feels that my engine would be able to spool an Evo X turbo just fine and is going to be building a B or two with the same turbo. My car/engine has been consistently impressing people at the shop with every turn and while this turbo may not suit my needs as well as the smaller Evo 8 turbo I think it would be fun to show up some DOHCs with my little D on the same turbo, as does my tuner (actually his idea). Also the Evo X turbo will be slightly easier to find with low miles.

Either way I'm getting twin scroll manifold done up for the turbo.

Comments, thoughts, suggestions ... flaming (ya know ... if you must).

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
what about the evo IX?

and from my research the X turbo is actually smaller than the 16g6 on the 8/9

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hmmmm. Looks like the Evo X has a 12 cm housing vs the Evo 8's 9.8 or 10.5.

Ninja edit: Honestly ^that means very little to me. I think of turbochargers much like Jeremy Clarkson "exhaust gasses spin a turbine ... black magic happens ... and you go faster". Still kind of a noob with some of this.

Also this is interesting. Reports for flow from the stock evo X turbo are all over the place.

·
3,983 Posts
that's the hotside though, the compressor side is == on the 8 and 9 and the 10 moves down to a "152G6" (which I'm assuming is like, 15.2 vs 16G6)

·
3,983 Posts
I'd believe the 39lb/min compressor flow number - there's no chance it's going to be higher than the 8/9, it's a physically smaller compressor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts