Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in an a6 block, which would be a better choice of rods: Crower or Eagle? im aiming at 200whp (not sure of the psi ill be runnin). which ones will hole up. i know the a6 rods are like fucking tooth picks.

Z

·
0 Posts
200hp doesn't really require forged rods
but to be safe if you want to it doesnt' really matter which of the two.

·
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme
3,203 Posts
Yeah... but the a6 rods are fuckin toothpicks... And plus, with new rods, you don't have to worry about turnin up the boost.

·
Banned
443 Posts
A6 rods are fine if you are getting the car tuned. I have friends pushing 240-250 whp on conservative timing and safe rich AFRs, stock D16 seem to last about 6 months like that and then you lose a ringland.

LS rods are inexpensive to make fit a D16.

Used eagles are pretty inexpensive if you put an ear to the ground. TT rods have been used in a lot of budget builds with success. I think fast-turbo.com has Rev rods for $250 right now, it's the same chinese forging as the Eagle, just like Scat or Crower Econo, with Rev doing their own in-house finish machining.

·
Banned
443 Posts
Stock D16 rods will handle 300 whp - they may be petite, but they are an OEM forging. People have done it before. The engines do not last very long, and it is the rod that fails... one tiny ping of detonation on top of the compressive loads involved with 300 whp is enough to start the rod on it's short road to metal fatigue and failure. Not trying to convince anyone to try to *build* an engine running a stock rod at those power levels, mind, but if you have a decent running high mileage D16 you don't care about I do think it would be fun to see how long it lasts.

I got in and out of LS rods for the semi-built D16 for a tenth the price of TT's... but I already own 1.9 metric tons of LS swill so the rods were free, have a machinist friend who milled the big ends for pennies, and ran a set of 98-00 GX pistons that have 21mm wristpins so I didn't need to fuck around with small end bushings. You should offset that by the cost of a $130 Mr Gasket "stackable" headgasket that allows you to drop the CR (A6 block, Z6 head, GX pistons = 12.2:1 CR), but I got a friend's unused .5mm and 1.0mm shims for free and am stacking them between the crush layers of a $40 Felpro MLS headgasket. Porting the chamber a bit will also help.

There's a lot of good inexpensive options, you just have to keep your eyes open and think things through.

·
Registered
284 Posts
many have surpassed the 200 whp mark with a stock longblock.....and people are beginning to surpass that horsepower level even with d15 rods.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tuner Toys huh? ive never heard of them. anyone got a web site. im not too worried about cost. i plan on boosting in January, so ive got some time. plus i make pretty decent money, with really no bills so. im not saying im some huge baller or anything, im just saying my car is my only hobby. i hate cell phones, and i dont watch tv. my gf works at Aeropostale (yeah, shes a hot mall chic, lol) so clothes are nothing.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i know im going to need a good clutch, but shouldi swap my tranny?

C

·
0 Posts
hey jd, your asshole smells, just liek your advice to use a mr gasket mls headgasket. i used one of those pieces of shit for 300 miles in my build d before i had to change it because it fucking leaked. oem headgasket, or cometic thick ( like my shaft) headgasket. tell jd 10mg aint no thang, niggeees

·
Banned
443 Posts
Sounds like a personal problem, Josh, just like the cleanliness - or complete lack thereof - is going to come home on you with that built B16 block.

Speed Phreak's daily driver is a 13.2:1 CR A6/Y8 mini-me running the Mr Gasket stackable MLS unit. His doesn't leak. And he's been fielding a 400+ whp 1700lb toy that eats R1 from a roll for a couple years now... everything you ever wanted to be, but haven't mustered the ability to create as of yet.

Hey, you going to offer slashcuts on your downpipes for *proper* PCV ventilation or not? I think it would be nice to see you be an innovator, and offer your customers an option that others so far do not because they have no idea the benefits. You can step up to the next level, or be a sheep and follow the herd when someone else does.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts