Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i know.....this might have been asked and answerd in the past...well i am planning on Turbocharging my 98EX Coupe. its a 2 door Automatic...I know the trans is a piece of shit hahah..and basically i want to run a T3 .42/.48 Turbo at about 8 PSI of boost. Will be upgrading fuel managment along with chipping the ECU and running either Crome pro or Hondata. The question is guys, if i put a tranny cooler on it, will it work ok at 8 PSI or is this pushing it too much for this tranny. I will eventually have it swapped out to a 5spd, but i figured i would use this tranny for all its worth until i have the money or it dies..any opionions on this?? And what WHP will i might be looking at?? Engine will remain stock at the moment as well. also will be running a Ramhorn mani since i have one muahah...please assist me all u turbo Gurus;s Thanks!!!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone??? come on guys iam looking to do this in a couple days i need some good input..!!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
As said about, the tranny cooler will definatly make things last longer. and as far as power goes, i would say with a good tune at 8psi on that turbo you could hit around 180whp or so.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
how do you plan on doing an obd2-1 conversion on an automatic? is there finally a harness made to do this conversion that actually works?

obd2 auto fuel control your gonna need to use either the afc hack, greddy e-manage or an fmu..

dont expect the 180whp the guy said, expect somewhere around 140-165 whp depending on turbo size, boost, and tranny condition. if you go over that your lucky.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am not sure how my mechanic is going to do the OBD-1 conversion on the Auto. He has done multiple conversions on Integras and civics already, ill have to ask him and get back to you if you are interested. Well at least it is nice to know i can run 10 PSI if i want to on a good tune. If you guys have anymore info on anything regarding this topic or anything for your guys 2 cents to make sure i dont screw up hahaha feel free to type whats on ur minds...thanks much for the posts u guys rock!

T

·
0 Posts
I have some real life data to give you a good reference.

My first stock auto transmission lasted up to 70000 boosted miles. It was running a JRSC @ 6.5 psi, it layed down 138 WHP. I did not have an ATF cooler and was on factory fluids for the first 40000 miles or so, so it was a bad move. When the transmission goes, it goes just like that. Maybe 2-3 week of symptoms and then it never shifted in 3rd anymore...lol

The 2nd transmission I have now was purchased used with already 60000 miles (stock mileage I assume from previous owner). So far I have put another 80000 miles onto this transmission which already outlasted my first one, PLUS most of the miles was at higher boost @ 9 psi and at 148-152 WHP. I am running Amsoil synthetic ATF and two B&M transmission coolers. This car does see abuse and have been roadraced several times...haha

So ATF cooler and synthetic fluids help big time. If you want your transmission to last, also avoid full throttle gear kickdowns, and avoid doing crazy pulls during really hot days. Heat kills most transmissions, so avoid heat.

Engine management would be a PITA for the automatic... I am running a really simple setup with additional injectors and using an E-manage to control them. It also controls timing, but it does not intercept into the MAP sensors for simplicity. I also have the Greddy 3-bar MAP sensor to tune for boost regions for both timing and fuel. Still on stock injectors so the car idles and drives like stock.

Here's a pic of the additional injectors:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
nice looking steup tony. my auto trans lasted 20k miles of boost and around 25+ bottles at 75 shot.. lol not at the same time though.

i put down 142 hp on a 75 shot and 139 if i remember correctly on my old t25 setup at 8psi.. i used the afc hack, the motor blew and the trans trans never did. i did the 5 speed conversion and never looked back. my 5 speed t3 setup at 6psi is as fast as my auto t3 setup at 11-12psi.

bottom line the auto will handle it but i could not stand to have that much hp held back by the auto trans, so i converted. wish i did it long ago!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts