Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
^^^^
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know a lot of turbo guys have used the secondary o2 bung...
But has anyone used it to tune an all motor build accurately?

I ask because I have a header on my current build and the primary o2 is seized...Seized and rounded.
So, I either tune with the secondary bung or wait until I install a new header and tune.

OR tune on the second bung and tune again when I've replaced the header.

I know people have done it...I guess I'm asking those people what their experiences have been.

Thoughts?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,005 Posts
cut it off above the hex and drill it out?

·
Registered
^^^^
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
cut it off above the hex and drill it out?
I thought about that...but at this point, I'm just gonna' order a new header. This beast gave me well above my 80 dollar investment. I had this thing on my first real No-Tec build..and it has lasted from engine to engine. I can just pull this header with the stock o2 on it and throw it on my '95 Coupe.

should work fine so long as the exhaust is not leaky...
did you try the vicegrip?
Oh, dude, I have torched this thing, vice gripped' it, vice gripped some vice grips with another set of vice grips to make sure it was on as tight as humanly possible and used a big-ass pipe for leverage. It is seized as seized can be. I can usually get something off eventually. I have gone at this periodically for months. Hah. Tenacity.

I've just got the itch to tune because it's been so long. When I swap the header out, I actually don't mind just tuning again...just to get my chops back. But I've never used that second bung before. I always considered that strictly ghetto. But if it works, screw it.

I did some data logging tonight and thought I was gonna' implode from the giddiness.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,867 Posts
Where is the second bung located on the header? Also im assiming if you are using a cat, the bung is before it?

Away i like to get stripped bolts out ( often caliber bracket bolts on 500$ cars) is to hamer a close fitting socket over it and then weld it to the nut and then use a ratchet to take it out. That would work with the o2 if you cut the wires off..

Or also ive welded bigger nuts to a stripped bolt or nut and then cranked that ( much like the socket idea above but doesnt use a socket)

·
Registered
^^^^
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where is the second bung located on the header? Also im assiming if you are using a cat, the bung is before it?

Away i like to get stripped bolts out ( often caliber bracket bolts on 500$ cars) is to hamer a close fitting socket over it and then weld it to the nut and then use a ratchet to take it out. That would work with the o2 if you cut the wires off..

Or also ive welded bigger nuts to a stripped bolt or nut and then cranked that ( much like the socket idea above but doesnt use a socket)
It's right at the bottom of the header. Before where the cat would be. But I'm running a test pipe anyway. Good thinking, though. If it were after the cat, it would seriously jack up any readings.

Yeah, the o2 and header are still good...so I think I'm just going to order a new header and then swap it out. Then use the header with the seized o2 sensor in my other Civic.

I've used that method to get some seriously jacked up bolts off as well. I bought a '98 Civic a few years ago from a guy that seemed to be cool. Turned out - He had bought the car from a kid and every goddam bolt on that car was stripped out, over torqued, under torqued or seized. It was a nightmare.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,867 Posts
I wouldnt mind tuning with an O2 at the collector at all. Its a mix of all 4 cylinders. If it was tuning by EGT id want it closer.

And i see, i didnt think the O2 still worked. using my idea would ruin it.

·
Registered
^^^^
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldnt mind tuning with an O2 at the collector at all. Its a mix of all 4 cylinders. If it was tuning by EGT id want it closer.

And i see, i didnt think the O2 still worked. using my idea would ruin it.
Yeah, that's what sucks. The stock o2 is still good. None of the stuff I ever put on myself gets seized up...but that one did.

I was watching a video earlier and a dude had his wideband "too close to fresh air" according to him. It kept leaning out...to the max. He had a bung put in closer and it was totally cool. Although, I think his was further down the exhaust. Probably on the test pipe.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,867 Posts
Yeah maybe so..also if the gasses cool to much can effect it. And like rob said if there is a leak it will cause issues and the farther down you go the more chance of that.

·
Registered
^^^^
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sitting here waiting on my wideband controller and I find my Bosch 4.9 LSU that I lost a LONG time ago. I actually thought this hood rat stole it out of my garage when I sold him a trans a while back. Turns out, I had haphazardly shoved it into a tool box I didn't use to get it out of sight and forgot about it. Hah. So I'm pretty much in business. Stoked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts