Honda D Series Forum banner

Tuning questions about hondata

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mattliston 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have a 1997 Honda Del Sol Si with the d16y8 from the factory. It currently has an automatic trans but I already have the 5 speed, clutch, pedals, shift linkage, and everything ready to swap when I have the time to work on it. I plan on turbocharging it very soon after I put the manual transmission in it. If I buy a hondata s300 and chip it to the ECU (I have a buddy whos going to be helping me with this who has been building Honda’s like his whole life, even drag Honda builds) will I have to get it tuned right away or does it not change the stock tune at all? Before I turbo it I want to do a few things to it. One question I have, with Hondata’s no lift shift, is there a way to make it where it makes a loud POP between gears? There’s no use for it really but it would sound amazing to go braaaaap POP braaaaaaaaap POP. Another question I have is will I be able to make a simple crackle tune on my own or is that too complicated for someone who has no experience in tuning? And is there a way to make the rev limiter on an extremely short delay? Because the redline on the stock engine sounds like it’s on like a .5 second fuel cut.
I’m not going to touch anything on the tune or anything without talking to my buddy or my tuner first because I know that even the slightest fuck up in the tune can end up snowballing into your engine destroying itself.
Thanks for your time.

See less See more
#2 ·
There should be a basemap available via the Hondata ECU setup menu. Neptune RTP has a similar menu. Just pick the right one from the list, and you can use this on your stock engine.

No Lift Shift requires serious tuning, and is best done at a drag strip or on a dyno. It is not something you simply "enable". Sure the feature is there, but the amount of fiddling with shit, getting your inputs right and getting your cut and enable points takes finesse. Leave this alone for now.

Your pop and/or crackle sound you want is possible, but it sounds like you're very new to tuning. If this is something that you desire, just wait till you bring it to get tuned. It's not something that can easily be explained when you're unfamiliar with your tuning interface. Just tell your tuner you want it to pop on shifts, and he'll work it in. This will waste gas and needlessly generate heat and wear of yout exhaust and valvetrain components though.

The redline RPM rise and fall time is configurable. It is looking at RPM targets during this, and you are right, it is a fuel cut, but it also cuts ignition too. If your redline is 7500, stock ECU performs fuel AND ignition cut and waits till like 7350 to re-enable fuel, or something like that. The time it takes to fall to 7300ish and rise back to 7500 is that "0.5 second delay" you speak of. You could change the "enable RPM" to like 7400 and see if it sounds better? Again, doing things just because they sound better are typically not good for the engine.

As long as you understand the risks vs reward, its your engine, do what you wish! Good luck with things.

#4 ·
I honestly think the no-lift shift is utterly useless until you start moving into the low 10s or faster quart times.

All you would be doing at that point is either draining local junkyards of trans, or filling someone's wallet up with rebuilds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.