Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a set of the new tuner toy rods a little while ago and sent my block, bearings, weiscos, and tt rods to the shop to have it bored, notched, balanced and assembled two weeks ago.

They started on it this week and called me in today to show me the progress they have made and I found a few things out about the tt rods that I thought I should tell you guys.

First thing is besides notching the bottom of the cylinders(expected) they had to take some material off the crank girdle to clear the bottom of the rods(not expected)

The second thing is, they had to machine the top wrist pin hole to fit the weisco pins.

And the third thing is, they had to machine the wrist pin sides of the rod to even fit the rod inside the pistons because the rods were to wide.

I didnt have my camera with me so I didnt get any pictures.

The thing that sucks is they charged me $32 to hone the holes out to fit the wrist pin and another $50 to shave the sides to fit the rod to the pistons.

So theres another $82 spent to make the $265 "cheap" rods work in the engine.

If I had known that these rods would cost me to make them fit I would of just bought eagles and notched the block and been done with it.

So a word to the people thinking of buying tuner toy rods, by the time you buy the rods then have them machined to work in the engine they were designed for you could have just bought a set of eagles and been done.

I not trying to badmouth tuner toys either but when I read their site and make a purchase for rods that only require notching to work I dont expect to have to pay extra to make them fit my pistons, pins, and potentially weaken my crank girdle by having to shave material.

EDIT: Tuner toys please feel free to chime in. I dont think that you guys have tested these new rods or you would have mentioned the machining required to make them work. But in your post about the new designed rods you only stated that notching was required and filling was no longer needed to clear the rods.

Also with my rods was a card from the company that tuner toys buys from and ups the price and sells to us.

Heres the link to the company they get them from for ONLY $180 http://stargalaxyinc.com/HONDA RODS.htm

·
Registered
285 Posts
i dont think they should refund you. you should have dont the research before you bought them. i remember seeing a thread exospeed did and they stated they had to notch the crank gridle.

ya i would be pissed aswell if i had to spend 85 on top.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well I know that Tuner toys is a good company and I knew that I would have to notch the block but didnt know I would have to spend more money to have them fitted.

Also, Im not bad mouthing the rods, Im just stating that there is additional work to be done to make them work and if I had to do it again Id buy eagles.

Just want to inform the members about what needs to be done with the rods.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I could not find the 137 mm Rods used in D16's in your link? all i have found was rod's for H, B, etc.... no D???

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
R3-5394AH is the part number on that link, they are there listed as 1.6l non v-tec.

Edit: heres a pic

And a pic of mine

Another, look same part number

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
I'm interested in what the tuner toys guys have to say about this...

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm interested in what the tuner toys guys have to say about this...
Screw that... BURN THEM! I HAVE A CROSS ALL READY TO LIGHT UP.

lol

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im not trying to burn tt but you could just buy from the link I posted for $180 then spend $82 to make them work and only have $262 total in rods THAT WORK.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Besides that, aftermarket performance rods should not have to be chopped up to work on the application they were designed for.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
ALL of this is common knowledge. a quick search on HT would have yielded all this info...

First thing is besides notching the bottom of the cylinders(expected) they had to take some material off the crank girdle to clear the bottom of the rods(not expected)
Eagles with the bigger bolts require the same notching...

The second thing is, they had to machine the top wrist pin hole to fit the weisco pins.
this is in the "Tuner Toys H-beam Rods" disclaimer on their website

And the third thing is, they had to machine the wrist pin sides of the rod to even fit the rod inside the pistons because the rods were to wide.
this has been covered many times as well...

These rods HAVE been tested by Tuner Toys and ALL of this info has been mentioned by Craig in the past. you shouldnt assume that an aftermarket part is going to be compatible with every other aftermarket part on the market. everyone makes things by their own specs...

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
yep, same thing happend to me, using Arias pistons...
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53083

I sold my rods to another member. I think he planned on using Wiescos also. Shit! I thought they'd fit his pistons. I figured they would because TT sells Wiesco pistons also. I really hope he does not have the same problems you have. I'd feel bad.
it's all good, I bought them from Mike and decided to go a different route with my build and picked up some eagles. I ended up selling them to another member, I hope he doesn't have any problems. I'm with Mike, I'd feel bad if he has any problems with them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just got a set of these for x-mas from my buddie... I just got them b/c they were on backorder. So I started reading and found this. I was thinking of running Vitara pistons with these rods. Anyone have any problems with the vitaras fitting these rods?

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
it's all good, I bought them from Mike and decided to go a different route with my build and picked up some eagles. I ended up selling them to another member, I hope he doesn't have any problems. I'm with Mike, I'd feel bad if he has any problems with them.
Did you check to see if they would fit your pistons?

If they did not I'd say this is a serious issue that needs to be resolved. Sorry, but the only machining that should be done is notching the block.

Machining off material from the PE will weaken the rods, according from the guy at Mitch's machine shop and a few other people I spoke to.

Ryan, how did they fit in your vitaras? You tried that right?

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Ryan, how did they fit in your vitaras? You tried that right?
they fit perfect, although i had the I-beams...

the block notching and wristpin issue is talked about all the time. TT even has it listed on their website.

as for the wristpin end of the rod being too wide, this is ONLY a problem with Wiseco pistons. there was a thread on HT about it, the work fine with all other slugs, but for some reason Wiseco has a smaller opening in the bottom of the piston than other brands

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
as for the wristpin end of the rod being too wide, this is ONLY a problem with Wiseco pistons. there was a thread on HT about it, the work fine with all other slugs, but for some reason Wiseco has a smaller opening in the bottom of the piston than other brands

They also dont fit my Arias pistons. I think Craig or somebody else should tell the manufacturer they need to make the PE end .200 smaller. Then there would be no serious problems like this.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts