Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
00' Ek, 79'z28
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not sure if i should have posted this in the suspension area.

I'm just looking for input my goal its to build something that can handle both up hill and down hill runs. I most enjoy a lot of back roads and mountain driving so I'm just looking for a balance of power to handling but from what I've learned over the years is you can be fast in a straight line and slow in the corners I've out driving cars that should have blown my doors of just because I was able to get threw and S turn or out shift cough cough* ((odyssey vs mazda6, stock cobalt vs mustang, cobalt vs b16 del sol and turbo talon)) just to name a few I can think of.

So I'm starting with a totally stock 00' CX EK ((Manual trans)) has 115k on the motor. I plan would like to be around 200ish horse not shooting for the moon on power but I strongly believe in balance of power to handling. What Im looking for is suspension opinions combos or set ups. Any ideas of what area i should focus on?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I plan would like to be around 200ish horse not shooting for the moon on power but I strongly believe in balance of power to handling. Any ideas of what area i should focus on?
200 hp on a D reliably is past the moon (somewhere in the Uranus area). it can be done (just gets rebuilt every week). areas that you should focus on is the search button area on this site

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
you need a turbo to do that.

also don't randomly capitalize letters, it makes you look stupid.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
First thing you should do it replace your transmission.

Im hoping youre being sarcastic when you say touge, but its hard to tell based on your post.

·
Registered
00' Ek, 79'z28
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you need a turbo to do that.

also don't randomly capitalize letters, it makes you look stupid.
Yeah I was on the fence about doing the title that way. I had done the whole post like that I'd make myself take the short bus around town . I may have had a miss understanding when it comes to making power . i know that n/a motors are extremely hard to hit the 180-200 mark as for A turbo motor I thought that 300+ range be the High end .

·
Registered
00' Ek, 79'z28
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get off the streets and go to an autocross if you want to beat up on more capable cars.
Im more or less looking to enjoy some spirited driving That's why I'm not all about shaving seconds off a lap time im building this car to enjoy for me.

·
Registered
00' Ek, 79'z28
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First thing you should do it replace your transmission.

Im hoping youre being sarcastic when you say touge, but its hard to tell based on your post.
Sorry I may had made a typo I'm dyslexic like bad so writing is a struggle for me . I more or less used that term so I could describe the environment I would be driving in I live in the northeast so lots of winding roads and steep hills. I know a ex Trans would be better due to the shorter gears. I'm just trying to see what you guys think would work well to build up the suspension and or what sway bars would be ideal for a set up like that.

·
Registered
1990 civic, 1991 CRX
181 Posts
OP states you are "outdriving" cars on these roads. That implies racing and not spirited driving. I'm all for building a car you can enjoy, just enjoy it at the appropriate outlets. If you want to do "touge" build it for hill climb.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
First, start at where the car touches the ground. Second, research.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Predictability would be crucial for me if I built a car for spirited back road drives. So; bushings, stiffer springs and sways with a slight bias toward the front, good brakes and better tires.

That said, at that point your cars limits will likely be well beyond your own. I know my cars limits are way too high for public roads, it's not worth the risk. Slow cars fast can be fun, fast cars at the limit get hairy.

WWD is right,take it to an autocross pad, its a no pressure environment and courses are different every event so you'll get a good mix of different turns and learn how to find your cars limits, as well as the car's.

·
Registered
00' Ek, 79'z28
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OP states you are "outdriving" cars on these roads. That implies racing and not spirited driving. I'm all for building a car you can enjoy, just enjoy it at the appropriate outlets. If you want to do "touge" build it for hill climb.
yeah when I was younger I was all about going fast and being dumb.Now I'm more into just going out for a drive and enjoying, yeah getting on it here and there once in a while is fun. In no means am I out to "race" anyone.

·
Registered
00' Ek, 79'z28
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's only one thing worth looking into first with any kind of "spirited driving", and that's bushings.
thank you Fodo. I've also read about adding a rear sway bar just don't know a whole lot about the picking the right one out.

·
Registered
00' Ek, 79'z28
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Predictability would be crucial for me if I built a car for spirited back road drives. So; bushings, stiffer springs and sways with a slight bias toward the front, good brakes and better tires.

That said, at that point your cars limits will likely be well beyond your own. I know my cars limits are way too high for public roads, it's not worth the risk. Slow cars fast can be fun, fast cars at the limit get hairy.

WWD is right,take it to an autocross pad, its a no pressure environment and courses are different every event so you'll get a good mix of different turns and learn how to find your cars limits, as well as the car's.
Thanks, yeah I'm just trying to stay away from bigger brakes but maybe a good pad and rotor combo will do. I'll for sure look into bushings as a starting point. Also there is a track with a road course that's similar to (maple Valley off Forza) opening up soon in my area and I have a friend that goes to Autocross events.So ill be sure to check some out this summer.

when the season come around ill see if there is anything out my way. there is a track that supposed to be opening up sometime soon and isnt a circle track .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts