Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had my car street tund at 18psi..pulled nice..then it start pouring white smoke out the exhaust..i have a fresh rebuild with 400 miles on it tops..i used all the goodies..pis rods complete valvetrain cam machine work u know..my buddy said prob a head gasket..anyone else had headgasket problems?...i torqued the headstuds down to arp specs..i think it was 67lbs...

if it is my HG which one is the best to buy..i have an oem style 3layer..i got with my superkit from fj..

·
Registered
275 Posts
Did you do the proper "break-in" procedure?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
if it is my HG which one is the best to buy..i have an oem style 3layer..i got with my superkit from fj..
There is your issue.

Everything in the superkit is pretty good except for the headgasket. Buy a Honda OEM D16Y8 headgasket. It works on all D's.

It sounds like your headgasket took a shit though, does it smell like coolant in the car?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i feel like i did a good break in..an yea honda oem, good idea..is this what everyone does?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I use felpro from autozone, holds perfect at 27psi on a precision 5857...

Im guessing if your gasket goes again without the FJ, and if your only street tuned that your timing is probably too advanced and that is whats popping your gasket...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my tuning is preset to .5 degree per psi of boost..plus i run e85..i would think that would be pretty safe..but i guess i might have to pull some timing out...how do u guys tune timing on the street? what do u guys torque your arp studs too?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
HG for sure. FJ kits are notorious for having shit head gaskets like wischmaster said. Change it and see if it happens again. Not exactly the least time consuming course of action but it could fix it, you never know.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Your motor setup and turbo setup is probably similar to what I had. Upon tuning the upper range of psi on my E85 build I popped a HG on the dyno. Had all of the right items, flat head/block surface, new OEM HG, new ARPs @ 70 ft lbs. The problem was the timing on the tune...too advanced, even with E85. I popped at 400whp ~21-22 psi.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
I'm seeing lots of things. I personally would have put more miles on the car and did a few more oil changes before beating on it.

I don't understand your first post? did you reuse the old head gasket?

and .5lbs per seems like a lot for 18lbs. I run about 1 degree per lbs at 7-10lbs. but this is based on books and reading and the small amount of testing and tuning my own cars. I've yet to have something dyno tuned.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i used a new one that came with my fj superkit...
the las summer i ran my stock motor on 13psi at .15 degree per pound on e85..it pulled nice all summer long until it snaped a rod..lol..i prob shouldve put more miles on it but dang i was joensin for more boost....

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
i used a new one that came with my fj superkit...
the las summer i ran my stock motor on 13psi at .15 degree per pound on e85..it pulled nice all summer long until it snaped a rod..lol..i prob shouldve put more miles on it but dang i was joensin for more boost....
is it preset to .15 degrees retard per lb of boost? or 1.5 degrees retard per pound?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its set to .5 now..but on my stock motor, the last summer i drove it i had it set to .15...i know it was risky but it was time for a build you know..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts