Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I killed my clutch in my car it was a stock disc with a comp stg 4 pressure plate. I need a disc and maybe a pressure plate. I looked at the Action 1MD clutch which is rated for 170% over oe tq and when I called the guy said it was only good for 300whp. I looked at the ACT clutch that Bartolo is selling in the F/S section and it is rated for 300tq which should be about 350whp? Also the ACT clutch says that it is 96% over oe tq. The stage 4 comp clutch says its rated for 250% over oe tq.

Im shooting for 300whp but would like a clutch to hold to 400whp. How can a clutch saying its 96% over stock be good for 300tq but one that is 170% only be good for 300whp? I'm really considering just buying Bartolos ACT disc and just get the car back together and having fun again.

Current concern with my Comp pressure plate. I think its ok because I cant see what the purpose of the this tab is there are 2 more so a total of 3.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
well, clearly it had a function and it can no longer serve it.... you should replace the whole thing imo

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I disregard the numbers and talk directly to the manufacture , tell them what we're doing and they set us up. We work really close with competition clutch and most of our setups are street / daily driven setups so we pay close attention to pedal feel and engagement. I'd recommend a stage 4 competition clutch, if you wanna stick with comp that is. If you do shoot me a message, we're a stocking dealer and since you're on d-series we'll give you a better discount. We also sell act, and exedy but really love the cost and service competition clutch offers.

I do not recommend swapping components though, stick with the same company if anything, and after seeing that piece that appears to be broken, I'd recommend a new pressure plate.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Don't listen to anyone who tells you "this clutch is good for X horsepower". Clutches are good for X torque, not horsepower.

Call the manufacturers yourself and see what they say.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I'm thinking is 300whp should be somewhere around 225-275tq? If so why is a clutch rated at 170% over stock not good enough while another one that is rated at 96% over stock is? I understand there is a difference in clutch material but both are non organic and 6 pucks.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
Dont pay attention to those numbers. The percentage numbers are total bullshit.

Call the company, ask questions. Tell them what you plan to do, and they will make a suggestion.

PS, that pressure plate is fucked. Dont reuse it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Comp said those fingers on the outside are there to help even lift the plate. So I will keep it just in case or what not. I messaged rc auto and aqua looks like 350 will get me a clutch so now I'm saving my money.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Wholly based on my setup with 333ft lbs, I easily drove my sprung Competition STG V clutch kit (4-puck BTW) and wasn't nearly as difficult in stop-and-go traffic as some might think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts