Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I only have around 1200 miles on my rebuild of this D16Z6. There is a constant drip of oil at all times. I have heard to use a fluorescent die do not have that. There is oil collected on the right side of the engine mostly where the engine and transmission come together. I have uploaded four pictures to illustrate a little. Any input would be appreciated. This engine was hot tanked but the transmission case was just wiped clean before rebuild installation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
clean it with some simple green and wipe it down.
Then throw some baby powder on it and check it the next day. it should make a trail right to the leak.

and normal cause for a leak over there is vtec gasket, upper or lower
and dizzy oring.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds like your distributor's o-ring has chewed itself up, it seems pretty common on D15-D16's (not sure bout the others). If that doesn't help, a couple of $2 cans of degreaser sprayed on and left for 5 minutes. Then hose it (with car runnin if your worried bout the water), warm the engine up and watch where the oil appears from. Easier than using dye, and probably just as effective. Hope that helps. Good luck

·
Registered
650 Posts
Sounds like your distributor's o-ring has chewed itself up, it seems pretty common on D15-D16's (not sure bout the others). If that doesn't help, a couple of $2 cans of degreaser sprayed on and left for 5 minutes. Then hose it (with car runnin if your worried bout the water), warm the engine up and watch where the oil appears from. Easier than using dye, and probably just as effective. Hope that helps. Good luck
The o-ring shouldn't get “chewed up" unless you're constantly removing and installing the distributor. It doesn't see any movement except for adjusting ignition timing. It could certainly be old and worn out, flattened more than anything.

And you're better off not hosing off your engine. You can easily get water in a plug/connector, and then you'll have some fun electrical problems to trace out, if they don't correct themselves when everything dries out.

·
Registered
1999 Honda Civic Ex
5 Posts
I had the same issue as you have and I changed the o-ring on the distributor and degreased the motor. No more leaking issues after the change. I want to say it was like 3.67 shipped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts